Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

The clerk at the pharmacy contacted my orthopedist and

The clerk at the...

The clerk at the pharmacy contacted my orthopedist and reported that I had been prescribed pain medication by another doctor in the past year. He dropped me as a patient. Two things - I was not filling a pain prescription at the time. I was getting a prescription for a rash. Also the other prescribed pain medicine was from my dentist, nine months earlier. I had been a patient of the orthopedist for nearly eight years. I was, at the same time picking up my daughter’s medication, no pain meds there either. The clerk was flustered at dealing with prescriptions for 2 different people being picked up at the same time. There was no one else at the counter, so being busy was not an excuse. I finally wrote our names and birthdates down so the clerk could read them. I guess she was angry or embarrassed. It seems she probably contacted my daughter’s insurance company. They disallowed a medication my daughter has used for years, a topical Lidocaine for nerve damage. Her insurer sent my daughter a letter stating that the medication was not technically indicated for topical nerve damage. The pharmacy clerk told me my daughter’s insurer would not pay. I said then just let me pay. She then told me it would be $300 for the tube! This is 4% - the same strength one can buy for burns, etc. Do you think the clerk overstepped her bounds by going fishing through my medical history and reporting me to my doctor. Shouldn’t the fact this was for dental work been noted? Is there some secret way to prevent sciatica, bulging discs, and stenosis from hurting when you are getting dental work or inversely preventing pain from extractions and oral surgery if you have a prescription for back ailments? Although my prescription from my orthopedist allowed for 4 10mg Narcos daily, I tried to keep to a regimen of only two a day...some days more, some less, but averaged 2 a day. And what of the clerk contacting my daughter’s insurer? I have to think both events happened at the same time, the coincidence is too unlikely.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

None

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I sometimes have high blood pressure.

3/5/2018
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Hi Sherri,

You are correct that there should have been no issues filling your pain medicine based on the info you are telling me. There doesn't appear to be any reason that the tech should have been digging for problems. Unless you were trying to get more than one controlled substance filled by different doctors or your script looked fake, you should not have had any issues. If the last controlled substance you got was 9 months ago, it is really a non-issue with respect to your current script.

Sometimes insurance companies do change formularies, so drugs that were once covered may not be any longer. Yes you can get Lidocaine gel 4% over the counter for a fraction of the cost of the $300 prescription.

Does this help? Please do let me know if you have other questions:)

You misunderstood. My orthopedist or orthopedic surgeon to be more precise provides me a prescription on a regular basis. It was the dentist who wrote me a prescription for pain med. following dental surgery. I’ve been with the orthopedist for 7 or 8 years. I have a multitude of back issues and could barely walk when I began seeing him. I was actually rejected by the rehab tech he works with. After a month there was no improvement. Still with the pain medication I began walking without a cane, standing up straight, and while I’ll never do flips around the horizontal bars again, I was doing okay. I guess the point is this - while the country has gone crazy regarding prescription pain meds, I was pretty oblivious. If I was supposed to tell my orthopedist when I had dental work scheduled, I was unaware. Was I supposed to use my back medication in lieu of pain meds provided by the dentist? And what if my orthopedist wanted to know why I was taking more pain meds than normal? Do I just say, ‘eh, had some dental work. I knew you’d be cool with my taking your prescription for that pain as well,’? That seems absurd. I’m months away from turning 65...I’m not a millennial out there selling or buying drugs off the streets. That said, I might join their ranks soon.
I see...thank you for clarifying. Two controlled substance pain meds does look suspicious, but the pharmacist can simply call your dentist to ensure they know you already have an opioid in your regimen and verify that they are ok with you having both.
The opioid epidemic has certainly caused issues for honest people like yourself, but the pharmacist has a legal responsibility to check things out. I would not have called your ortho, but would have called the dentist to verify. I would not tag you as doctor shopping as you had a dental procedure done with a legit script for the pain med. All I would want to know is if the dentist was aware you already have an opioid on board and intentionally wanted you to have both.
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist