Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I take numerous prescription drugs and supplements which…

I take numerous prescription...

I take numerous prescription drugs and supplements which have been checked by a pharmacist. I have had major GERD and tried all natural remedies to no avail. I have been prescribed protonix and it seems to be working. I was prescribed robaxin 500 and after taking it I got bad diahrea. I don't know if it was from the robaxin or a bug. I was also given turmeric and ginger capsules and told to take a probiotic. I don't know about taking the turmeric although I have read good reports about it being good for inflammation. I have a lot of arthritis in back and neck and recently my legs and feet have been swelling and my skin is sore when if press on it. I don't know what is good and what isn't.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take Lisinopril, cozaar, caduet, toviaz, protnix, Cymbalta, calcium, magnesium, acidopholis, glucosamine chondroitin, fish oil, l-tyrosine, Vitamin B complex, vitamin E, vitamin D-3, l-glutamin, l-theamine, l-tyrosine, quercetin & bromelain, turmeric, ginger, a digestive enzyme, Papaya and a collagen powder. I am also trying to follow a gluten free diet and using coconut oil and drinking coconut water and a kefir drink.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have suffered from depression off and on for a long time. At one time I was prescribed all sorts of antidepressants which resulted in falls. I am no longer taking them but was very depressed and had racing thoughts which wouldn't stop. I went to a pharmacist and she recommended the l-theamine which made me feel better in a few days. I have had hypertension for years and my blood pressure fluctuates. My main issues are depression, GERD, weight control, hypertension, and bad arthritis and back and neck and knee pain. I am not taking any pain medication. I have had trouble sleeping and that is why the robaxin was prescribed. I sometimes take melatonin and have been eating a banana before bed which seems to help.

I don't have any files, photos or video. I have seen a gastroenterologist, an orthopedic Dr., had numerous back, knee and shoulder injections, been to physical therapy, seen an alternative medicine naturapathic Dr. and a pharmacist. My regular Dr. doesn't believe in any supplements at all and hasn't been very helpful.
2/20/2018
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
Protonix is a good drug for GERD. Be sure to take it 30 minutes before eating. Turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory substance.
Although you take quite a few meds and supplements, I don't see any major interactions there.
I hope this fully addresses your question to your satisfaction! If you have no further questions, then please kindly rate my service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!
Is that all he has to say about all I wrote. What about the robaxin, and ginger and probiotics - and all the other drugs that I mentioned.
Sorry I was reading is carefully to address all your concerns.
Ginger is great supplement as well.
Robaxin is to help with muscle spasms and sleep.
Probiotics are something everyone should take. They are great for your overall health especially your gut
If robaxin continues to cause diarrhea, then try it with food. Probiotics should help stop the diarrhea though
Are there any food interactions beside grapefruit? I eat a lot of seeds and nuts, avocado, coconut oil and herbal teas. Are there any herbs that I should avoid. A lot of the teas have numerous ingredients.
Grapefruit is not that bad either UNLESS you eat ton a day. It can raise the levels of some drugs like Caduet, but only if eaten a lot.
Other herbs and supplements are just fine.
Do you know anything about Leaky Gut and if there any tests for it? What about bone broth? I have read a lot about it and its benefits. How do you know if you are getting too much potassium?
the term Leaky Gut Syndrome is used to describe the condition of “Hyperpermeable Intestines,” a fancy medical term that means the intestinal lining has became more porous, with more holes developing that are larger in size and the screening out process is no longer functioning properly. The fallout results in larger, undigested food molecules and other “bad stuff” (yeast, toxins, and all other forms of waste) that your body normally doesn’t allow through, to flow freely into your bloodstream.
Probiotics are the best for leaky gut and diet control
bone broth is one of the most nutrient-dense, healing foods for the digestive system and therefore a great way to kick off a healthier way of eating or help resolve symptoms related to poor digestion
too much potassium in your blood can lead to dangerous, and possibly deadly, changes in heart rhythm.
can cause muscle spasms and cramps
I hope this fully addresses all your questions and concerns to your satisfaction! If you have no further questions, then please kindly rate my service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!
What are the best probiotics, the 7day mega dose or the daily ones and what strength. Are there any brands that are particularly good?
They are all pretty good, but I prefer Florastor® Daily Probiotics is because it's made with natural ingredients that are vegetarian, gluten-free, and appropriate for lactose intolerance. They come as capsules and powder sachets do not require refrigeration and have a three-year shelf life. You can swallow capsules whole or mix the powder into your favorite food or beverage
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
What strength probiotic? There are so many that I don't know what to take.