Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I was prescribed .25mg of Xanax in August for anxiety. I…

Customer Question
I was prescribed .25mg of...
I was prescribed .25mg of Xanax in August for anxiety. I didn’t react well to it. It made my anxiety worse because of the short half life. This doctor proscribed me .5mg of Klonopin in November, saying it was “less addictive”. Not true! I noticed I became in tolerance very quickly with Klonopin, so I decided to taper. I’ve been tapering since the begging of December. I went from .5mg to .375mg, held for a few weeks and then went to .3125mg. I’ve been holding that for almost two weeks. I lowered to .25mg yesterday and today I felt awful- dizzy, head zaps and nausea. I want off these pills sooner than later. What would be an easy way to taper without feeling like complete crap? I’ve thought about alternating this week- .25mg one day, .3125mg, etc, until I become comfortable. Please help!
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
1/9/2018
Pharmacist: Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz, Pharmacist replied 5 months ago
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz

Hi, you are speaking with Dr Jonathan. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles! You are doing the right thing by tapering. It would be worse to stop it suddenly. And actually, yes, you can try the alternating schedule to make the taper even more gradual. 0.25 mg of Klonopin is an extremely low dose, so odds are you are sensitive to this class of medication.

Any other way I can assist?

Any other way I can assist?