Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

Some background: - I use my Flonase every night before bed.

Customer Question
Some background: - I use my...
Some background:
- I use my Flonase every night before bed.
- I have been getting migraines ever since I was 5.
- I use 50-100mg sumatriptan usually successful the first time I take it. It usually takes close to 2 hours before I'm feeling better; sometimes longer and I take a second dose; rarely it takes an hour.
- the last few nights, I forgot to take my Flonase
- for the last two nights, I had one drink in the evening - Kahlua and cream maybe one to two shots of Kahlua - I don't measure)
- the medication I take at night is as follows: trazodone, amitriptyline, Effexor, nadolol, aptiom, Lipitor
- every morning despite using the Flonase at night, I wake up congested. I usually use a saline nasal spray and then blow a lot of stuff out and I'm good.
- the past two mornings, I have awakened with what I would say is a migraine but also sinus congestion - I usually feel like I need to blow my nose in the morning, but I don't feel the pain of a sinus headache unless I am getting a migraine. When the migraine goes away I no longer feel congested. If I blow my nose when I have a migraine in the morning, I get stuff out but the migraine is still there.
For the past two days, I have awakened with what I would say is a migraine. Terrible pain, nausea, and more than my usual feel of congestion in my sinuses. However I did not feel like I needed to blow my nose. I wanted to go back to bed, but I needed to feed my cats because they need their medicine. When I got to the kitchen, I took my usual morning medicine - Ritalin and Vicodin. But I also took Imitrex and Sudafed. I know that just complicates things but I would just like your opinion. I don't like to take all of those medications together, but I just want to feel better. While I was feeding my cats, I began to feel better already Within half hour or less. Do you have an opinion as to what caused the migraine and/or what helped pain? In addition to not really wanting to take those medications together, I really hate to waste the Imitrex because I can only take so much of it.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
1/4/2018
Pharmacist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

any sick contacts?

Sorry I couldn't answer right away

no problem

Oops, I hit the send button instead of the button to stop dictating. I had to leave for my physical therapy and wasn't able to get to my phone until now. I assume by any sick contact, you mean have I been around anyone who's been sick. I don't think so - I haven't been out much since it's been so cold. Back at Thanksgiving and the week after Thanksgiving, I was with those-who-love-to- share-germs (that we call children). In actuality, I haven't really felt right as far as congestion and sinuses go, since Christmas 2016. I was diagnosed with a sinus infection. I couldn't see my regular doctor and the other doctor gave me a z-pack. I didn't think about it at the time , but I think that azithromycin kind of quit working with me. I called back and said my sinuses are still bothering and my regular doctor put me on I want to say it's clindamycin but I'm not sure. I have an appointment with him coming up I was going to discuss this with him. But I wanted to consult you since I won't be able to see him for a while. The Sudafed I take in the morning is 12 hour and I feel fine after the 12 hours is up. Curious to find out what tomorrow brings

Me too

part of me thinks you are overmedicated

I see this all the time

all the meds combine to just completely stop the drainage of the sinuses

I think you should stop everything

How would that go? I would have to be in a mental institution.

you need to have a doctor help you and monitor you closely

Woke up like normal today BTW.

Wow. that is good to hear!

Do you think you are better?

just really tired - late night early morning

that is good to hear you are feeling well though