Pharmacy

Pharmacy Questions? Ask a Pharmacist Online.

Pharmacy

I would like to know how to get rid of periungual warts, my…

Customer Question
Hi, I would like...

Hi, I would like to know how to get rid of periungual warts, my 3 yr old son has them on his toes?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No haven't taken anything yet

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Pharmacy
1/2/2018
Pharmacist: Dr. Sone, Pharm.D. replied 1 month ago
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question. There are OTC medications that can help remove the warts. Have you tried any of those?
OTC options that can be used have Salicylic acid as the active ingredient that is a type of acid that is applied directly to the wart. It comes in different forms, such as a liquid or patch.
Some examples are Compound W, Duofilm, and Occlusal HP. You can find these in the OTC section of skin conditions pretty much anywhere including Walmart and Target.
If this answers your question and you have no further questions, then please kindly rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!
Often times doctors use Cryotherapy.
Cryotherapy refers to a treatment where your doctor uses liquid nitrogen to freeze off your warts. It may require fewer treatments than salicylic acid, often only needing three to four treatments. Success rates for salicylic acid and cryotherapy are about the same, with reported success rates in 50 to 70 percent of cases. Cryotherapy can also be used in combination with salicylic acid.
Hope this helps. :)
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.