Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

Dr. Bridget, I have not been able to sleep for over 7 days,

Customer Question
maybe 30 minutes or so...
Dr. Bridget, I have not been able to sleep for over 7 days, maybe 30 minutes or so off an on. I have tried over the counter sleep aids they don't work. I have tried Unisom Gels, Tablets and Melatonin. I never had this problem before. I was admitted into E.R. on Dec. 13, 2017 and was discharged with low potassium, magnesium counts. My stools this entire time have been diarrehia, no solid stools the past 10 days. I have no fever but since I cannot sleep is fatiguing me more and more. I need to sleep and I think I can regain energy, let my body reset, repair and get back to normal. What do you suggest I do? My general practice Doctor I cant see until Jan.4, 2018. I cant wait that long. What do you suggest?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/23/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist replied 6 months ago
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.
Hi! Thanks for requesting me:). I will be back with an answer for you shortly.
The electrolyte imbalance certainly be contributing. Did you get supplements to fix that?
Hi, no I was not prescribed any supplements. The E.R. gave me potassium and magnesium tablets while in E.R. on Dec.13 but that is all I have taken. What are you recommending?
I prefer we continue correspondence here at message center.
You can get potassium and magnesium supplements at the drug store. Take per package instructions. Be sure to look for an absorbable form of magnesium so it does not make your diarrhea worse. Magnesium glycinate is a good one. This will help get you back on track until you can see your regular doctor. Over the counter herbs to try for sleep include kava kavaand valerian root. You can combine these with the melatonin if needed.
Dr. Bridget, I took 6MG of Melatonin and 3 BAYER Aspirin 81MG-9 1/2 hours ago, I am thinking I will try Tylenol PM Extra Strength tablets.ARE THE Tylenol PM Extra Strength 1 tablet equals 25MG tablets/500 Acetaminophen are these okay to take now 9 1/2 hours later?Can I take a low dosage to start and see how the effect is of the Tylenol PM? SO I start with 1-2 Tylenol PM Extra strength and in 1 hour see how the effect is and if not strong enough after 1 hour take 1 more Tylenol PM.So I possibly could take a total of 3 Tylenol PM within a 1-2 hour time frame?Please let me know, thank you.
it is safe to use the Tylenol pm after the melatonin and aspirin. Starting at a low dose is reasonable. You can always take an additional dose if the first doesn’t work within an hour, as you mentioned. After 2 doses, a third dose is not likely to help so I would recommend sticking with a max of 2 doses.