Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

What is the maximum duration of treatment with ampicillin…

Customer Question
What is the maximum...

What is the maximum duration of treatment with ampicillin 500mg twice a day for skinn infection once the infection is cleared?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Ampicillin 500 twice a day

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
12/21/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist replied 6 months ago
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Hi! I’m Dr Bridget.
The recommended treatment duration is 5-14 days for most skin infections. Milder infections require fewer days of treatment than more severe ones. If your symptoms do not clear during this time, the cause of the infection and antibiotic selection should be reevaluated.
Does this help? Please let me know if you have any further questions:)