Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I was diagnosed with stage 4 Breast Cancer in Feb of 2017.

Customer Question
I was diagnosed with...

I was diagnosed with stage 4 Breast Cancer in Feb of 2017. It had metastasized to my bone, thus stage 4. I was put on Letrozole and Ibrance 125mg. Have always had trouble sleeping and have taken Ambien. Before the bone mets, I was getting down to 5 mg a night. After a few months on Letrozole and Ibrance, my insomnia was getting worse. to the poin, I was takig benedryl along with 10 mg of Ambien. Iexperienced several other side affects with Ibrance.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I hit send too soon.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was geting only 3 hours of sleep when I calle d my oncologist. He told me to stop Letrozole and the Ibrance for 1 month which I did and was sleeping very well. Still took 5 mg a night and would wake up once a night but would go back toslepp. Then my doc had me go back on Letrazole for 2weeks and see him. Sleep was good, could cut back to 2.5 mg ambien at bedtime and then 2.5 mg when I woke up in the middle of the night. Now, he wants me back on 75mg of Ibrance every other day.'I took it i the morning then. At bedtime, I took 2.5 mg of ambien didnt do a thing. and hour later took 2.5 mg and slept for 5 hours. couldn't go back to sleep, so got up. Felt very hyper that day. Next day no Ibrance. At bedrime took 5 mg ambien slept for 5 hours then took 2.5 mg of Ambien in early morning because I didn't have to be up for another 4 hours. Then, the third day, I took the 75 mg Ibrance. That was yesterday.Last night I took 5mg of Ambien, slept for 3 hours and was totally awake. Took another 5 mg Ambien and no sleep, lay in bed for a couple more hours, then was up at 3:30am. My meds are Amlodipine, 5 mg

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Hi! I read your insomnia narrative. How may I help?

I'm wondering if there is a better sleep medicine than Ambien that's not going to make me crazy and that won't interfere with my medicines. I take 5m Amlodipin, 20/20 Lisinopril HCTZ, 2.5 mg Letrozole, a multi vitamin, Vit E Baby Aspiring, Biotin 500 mcg 6,000units of Vit D. 1400 mg Fish Oil Calcium / Magnesium compound, 400 mct Folic Acid, Super B Complex, Lutein with Zeaxanthin, Co-enzyme Q 10

No problem. Please give me a few minutes to compile some options for you to discuss with your doctor.

I do not want to pay more money nor talk on the phone. If you cannot answer my question with the info you have, ok.

No need for a phone call. The site automatically offers it. I can help you online.

I keep getting text messages that the answer is on anotheer site.
Can you answer my question with this back and forth process or do I have to go to that site mentioned in the text message?

If you cannot see my reply in the text message, you will need to log in to JustAnswer site to view it.

I cannot access that site. Certainly you can answer me here.

Here are a few options that are different from Ambien and do not interact with your medicines: Belsomra, Lunesta, and Restoril.

Does this help? Please do let me know if you have further questions.