Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I'm taking Terbinafine Tables n I'm catching a Cold can I…

Customer Question
I'm taking Terbinafine Tables...

I'm taking Terbinafine Tables n I'm catching a Cold can I take Theraflu

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
12/15/2017
Pharmacist: Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist replied 4 months ago
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - This is Dr. Shaun and I am a pharmacist with over 15 years experience.
Thank you for the question and for using JustAnswer.

Yes - Terbinafine and Theraflu can be taken together. It is best to avoid the Theraflu products that contain dextromethorphan (cough suppressant) in them, but for short term use it is fine. Be sure to follow the directions on the Theraflu packaging.

The reason it is best to avoid the cough suppressant is because the terbinafine can enhance the effects of the dextromethorphan. But again, for short term use it is fine.

I hope this information helps you. If you need more or would like clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.
Please also take a moment to rate your experience.

The Theraflu products that do not contain Dextromethorphan are: Flu & Sore Throat, Nighttime Severe Cold & Cough, and Cold & Sore Throat. The other formulations contain Dextromethorphan, but again are OK for short term use as long as you do not experience any symptoms of having too much of it in your system, such as dizziness, agitation, anxiety, or confusion.

Hello - I just wanted to check on you and see if you had any further questions or needed help selecting a product.

Please let me know if you need any assistance.

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist