Pharmacy

Pharmacy Questions? Ask a Pharmacist Online.

Pharmacy

I have been taking 100mg of celebrix (generic) once a day.

Customer Question
I have been taking...

I have been taking 100mg of celebrix (generic) once a day. It hasn't seemed to help. Is it okay to take Aleve pm along with the celebrix (generic(

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes - the first of OCT I took prednizone for 10 days as I was out of town - it worked, til it ran out. Then I was prescribed DICLOYENAC (75MG) 2x A DAY. It didn't seem to give me any relief. Sonow am on the Celebrix generic. The pain is mostly in my shoulders and arms and keeps me awake at night

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

The symptoms are worse at night and most of the morning. I take the tablet mid morning. And although I hurt a lot thruout the day, it's not as bad around 3-4 then it starts again

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had PMR 6 years ago and took Prednizone but can't remember how long I took it I was under a rheumotologist care for a couple of years. I have been going to my GP - I don't feel comfortable taking prednizone

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
12/13/2017
Pharmacist: Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist replied 2 months ago
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - This is Dr. Shaun and I am a pharmacist with over 15 years experience.
Thank you for the question and for using JustAnswer.

Aleve has a medication that is very similar to Celebrex and is therefore not recommended to be taken together.

If you have stomach problems of any kind, you should not take Aleve (this is often why Celebrex is prescribed over other similar medications because it is more gentle on the stomach).

Provided you do not have stomach issues, you can take the Aleve PM tonight and see if it helps better, but I would strongly recommend not taking Celebrex tomorrow and instead just try Aleve throughout the day to see if it provides better relief for you.

Prednisone is an excellent medication for helping short term, but is not recommended for long term use.

If the Aleve helps more than the Celebrex, it would be good to discuss with your doctor the possibility of switching to Naproxen (the active ingredient in Aleve).

I hope this information helps you. If you need more or would like clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.
Please also take a moment to rate your experience.

Hello - I just wanted to make sure you did not have any further questions or wanted additional clarification.

If not, please take a moment to rate your experience. If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask.

I just wanted to check and see if you tried the Aleve and see if it helped better than the Celebrex. If you need any other recommendations or advice do not hesitate to ask.

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist