Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I have been on the oxymorphone 20mg HCL ER for about 2 yrs…

Customer Question
I have been on...

I have been on the oxymorphone 20mg HCL ER for about 2 yrs or so and i have been telling them that there was no way this medication could last 12hrs maybe 6 to 8 hrs. I just had surgery ACDF and he had to take two out for pain i was having down to my left elbow which really helped so far but i am having a hell of a lot of even more pain and i just can't tolerate it anymore

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Take oxymorphone HCL ER 20 mg twice-daily and oxycodone 15 mg 4 Times Daily

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No but I can't take codeine and I allergic to that blue dye they use for some test on your back I'm having way too much pain and it shouldn't be this way especially since it's in my right arm and hand this is really severe pain like I said a pain medication the last 12 hours I ain't no way possible head one doctor that left where I go last month she told me that there was a case in court where the I don't know what happened but she told me that a representative from that pharmaceutical company said it was from the pharmaceutical manufacturer for this medication said it was only a 8-hour no that's all thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
12/9/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Sone, Pharm.D. replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
Yes it is quite possible that the 12 hour ER medication is barely effective for 6-8 hours. Some people are fast metabolizers and that is one of the reasons among others that the drug lasts only for 6-8 hours.
I suggest taking Oxycodone for break through pain as needed along with oxymorphone twice a day.
It is also possible that the formulation of the ER is defective and does not last four 12 hours
If this answers your question and you have no further questions, then please kindly click on ACCEPT on the upper right hand corner of your screen for me to get credit for helping you. You will still have 7 days after your initial question to come back with any questions you have without having to pay extra. Take care.
Pharmacist: Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D. replied 7 months ago
Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.

I would suggest you request your physician to increase your dose to 30 or 40mg. This would allow for more pain control. hopefully this fully answers your question. Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.

that is the next step