Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

My doctor has me on janumet xr, and it has gotten rather…

Customer Question
My doctor has me...

My doctor has me on janumet xr, and it has gotten rather expensive. Is there a cheaper alternative in this class of drug?

Doctor's Assistant: What over-the-counter and prescription medications are you currently taking?

Carvedilol, Lisinopril 10 & 20, atorvastatin

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I see her every 3 months

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
12/7/2017
Pharmacist: Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist replied 4 months ago
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - My name is ***** ***** I am a pharmacist with over 15 years experience. Thank you for the question and using JustAnswer.

One of the active ingredients in Janumet XR is part of relatively newer class of anti-diabetic medications. There are alternatives, but are all on similar in cost. Janumet comes as a non-XR version also which is a little cheaper, but it still runs $400-$425 (vs. Janumet XR which runs around $500 per month).

Since you see your doctor every three months we could try to find a solution to your cost for the short term. Below is a link to a site that has a number of possible cost savings solutions (coupons, medication discount cards, etc.) Many of these are good for a few refills and should help you lower the cost of the medication until you can discuss alternatives with your doctor.

Long term, there are number of anti-diabetes medications available in several different classes. While Janumet is newer and works differently, it would be worth exploring trying some of the older and less expensive options if you have not been tried on them.

Here is the link: https://www.janumetxr.com/special-offers/

I hope this helps. If you need any additional information please do not hesitate to ask.

Hello - I just wanted to make sure you did not have any further questions or wanted additional clarification.

If not, please take a moment to rate your experience. If you need anything else, please do not hesitate to ask.

Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist