Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

Can Wellbutrin cause back pain, tightening of hamstrings…

Customer Question
Can Wellbutrin cause back...

Can Wellbutrin cause back pain, tightening of hamstrings back musciles.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Bending down, or sitting a long time. I take 300mg daily. Stretching my back by; resting it on a "beach ball" seems to help and doing some stretching exercises: laying on my back and pulling my knees to my chest

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I ;had a herniated back disk about 25 ;years ago from lifting 90 lb sacks of concrete at a b;uilding materials store where I worked. I am now 75 years old.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
11/17/2017
Pharmacist: Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist replied 7 months ago
Shaun Dillavou
Shaun Dillavou, Pharmacist

Hello - My name is ***** ***** I am a pharmacist with over 15 years experience. Thank you for the question and using JustAnswer.

In general pain is a relatively uncommon side effect of Wellbutrin (<10%). This tends to be in the extremities (arms, legs), so the issues you are having with your hamstrings is a possibility, though again it is uncommon.

Based on the information you have provided, I believe the back pain you are experiencing is unrelated to the Wellbutrin and is more likely related to your previous injury.

If the stretching is helping, I recommend continuing this until you have an opportunity to discuss this with your primary care physician. You can also take any over-the-counter pain reliever with Wellbutrin to help until then. Of course if the pain worsens I would recommend calling sooner rather than waiting until your next appointment.

I hope this helps. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to ask.