Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

What medications for anxiety and depression are damaging to…

Customer Question
What medications for anxiety...

What medications for anxiety and depression are damaging to the liver" Which of these medications have fewer dangerous side effects?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I was previously taking Effexor XR and am looking for a different medication for depression and anxiety. I take spironolactone, levothyroxine (and lorazepam sublingual while I investigate the alternatives for depression/anxiety medication prior to seeing my doctor) I'm not allergic to any medications as far as I know.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I tapered off from Effexor XR on doctor's and pharmacist's advice and I've been getting horrendous side effects (panic attacks, insomnia, almost unendurable physical and mental restlessness and anxiety). Pico salax, then lactulose and senna tablets due to ER diagnosed colon "completely full of poop" (resulting from gall bladder surgery?)

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
11/13/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Sone, Pharm.D. replied 9 months ago
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
Yes there are several newer medications with lesser side effects. And no major liver problems reported.
Ask your doctor to consider Lexapro or Celexa.
Also to consider is Trintellix (Vortioxetine) which is a new type of serotonin modulating antidepressant that can be tried when the other antidepressants don't work
Please ask any other questions you might still have. If no further questions, then please kindly click on ACCEPT the answer for me to get credit for helping you.
You still have 7 days after your initial question to come back with any questions you have without having to pay extra. Take care.