Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I have been taking oxazepam for sleep for years. I would…

I have been taking oxazepam...
I have been taking oxazepam for sleep for years. I would like to stop. I take mg every night. As I reduce the mg can I replace with melatonin
10/9/2017
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz
Hi there. You are speaking with Dr Jonathan. What is your plan for reducing your dose? In other words, how fast will you be tapering down?
As fast as I can that's safe. But I need to be able to sleep

Understood. Could you tell me what dose you started at and how low you have gotten so far? Also, you can start the Melatonin at any time. It will take about a week or two until it starts working.

I started at 15mg & remain at 15mg. I want to know if the melatonin will work or do u have other suggestions

Melatonin works, but it sort of "resets" your sleep cycle so your body knows the right time to fall asleep. To do this, it takes a few weeks, and you need to take it consistently every day. If you just need something to help you fall asleep on days you feel you need it, there is Valerian root. It is plant based and comes in capsules. It helps just with falling asleep. I would recommend lowering your Oxazepam to half a tablet for about 3-4 weeks. Then you can do a quarter tablet for 3-4 more weeks. This will minimize side effects you may have had if you just stopped it suddenly.

Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz
Thx

You're very welcome. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. When you are ready to end our chat, you can click Submit in the top right corner to leave your rating and close out. Have a great day!