Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I am on 150mg amitriptyline was put on 60mg of paxil along…

Customer Question
I am on 150mg amitriptyline...
I am on 150mg amitriptyline was put on 60mg of paxil along with firocet flexril 10mg Xanax 1mg and oxycoden 20mg could that have really messed up my brain and body
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
10/9/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.
Hi! I’m Dr Bridget.
What symptoms are you having?
My eyes are getting really bad. I have not had a sex life in years. I can't understand how I could let my mom and dad make the biggest mistake of their life and it's killing me it happen after 60mg of paxil was added to my medication I feel like I have some thing wrong with my brain and I'm in more pain than I was end before all the medication.

Thanks for clarifying. So you'd like to know if Paxil can cause worsening vision, reduced libido/sexual disorders, reduced brain function and pain.

Yes, Paxil can cause all of these. It can cause blurred vision and reduced visual acuity, reduced sexual desire, lack of concentration and pain in your muscles and joints.

Does this help? Please reply with any further questions or discussion:)

Should i had not been informed by my doctors I told him I was have problems with my eyes and the nurse and him looked at each other and said that they never heard of paxil causing any kind of problem I'm scared and really don't know what to do I feel I'm permanently messed up for life I'm embrassed is it possible
I have a medical malpractice law suit against Paxil.

Yes, a lawsuit would be possible. A lawyer would better be able to advise about specifics on how to proceed with a lawsuit against the makers of Paxil.

Can the oxycoden make my pain worse and mess up my mind to?

Oxycodone would not make pain worse, but it can definitely have a negative impact on your brain function.

What would the effect of 60mg paxil in the morning have after waking up from 150mg of amitriptyline

You want to know the interaction between Amitriptyline and Paxil?

would it have had the ability to mess up my mind.

Paxil has additive effects with Amitriptyline. Both of these medications affect Serotonin and can have negative effects on the brain when used in combination. Paxil may also reduce the metabolism of Amitriptyline, leading to increased levels on Amitriptyline in your system. This can further increase depression of your brain function.

What would the effect of the 150mg amitriptyline along with the 60mg of Paxil and flexril 10mg 3times a day and Xanax1mg 4 times a day and Firocet 50/325 /40mg and oxycoden 20mg 4 times a day have on my brain/mind/body.

They all cause reduced brain function, so combining them further increases the risk of this vs taking each drug alone. Such effects may include, but are not limited to, ataxia, confusion, drowsiness, respiratory depression, and weakness.

What exactly does it mean paxil may reduce the metabolism of amitriptyline leading to increase levels on amitriptyline in your system.

Amitriptyline is broken down by your liver then excreted from your body. This is how the drug is metabolized out of your system. Paxil partially blocks the liver from breaking down Amitriptyline and so the levels of Amitriptyline in your blood continue to build as you take your daily dose. Higher levels of Amitritpyline in your blood can increase the risk of side effects.

Basically it increased the levels of amitriptyline in my system? Could this had made me very impaired and and unaware of exactly what was going on?

Yes, it increased Amitriptyline levels in your system. This could be causing or contributing to your brain impairment.

basically theses medications should not be mixed together due to paxil not allowing amitriptyline to be metabolized through the liver?

They can be used together safely, but with monitoring for side effects. For those patients who have side effects, the dose of Amitritpyline would need to be reduced or Paxil would need to be reduced or stopped.

Should i had been told the interactions between these two medications?

Yes that would have been a good thing to do so you would know to watch for any side effects.

I was unaware of the interactions between the two medications I just know that there was no way possible that in my right mind I could have let this happen to my family it took 2yrs of me not being able to comperhen my family's business was even gone then the next two yrs I could not comperhen how i could just let this happen like it was nothing i was in fact suppose to take it over and i did nothing to stop my parents from makeing the biggest mistake of their life and my life it has completely tore me up I'm embrassed. And just want and explanation to how I could have this happen. Do you feel that the interaction of theses medications could have caused me to be unaware of exactly what was going due to the interactions.
I had been on the 60mg of Paxil for a little over a year and had been on the 150mg of amitriptyline for years before i let my parents make the biggest mistake of their life and my life just happen for that period of time could the amitriptyline in my liver been so high that it had really messed up my brain?
With 60mg of paxil daily and 150 mg of amitriptyline daily for over a year how much serotonin would I have had since paxil does not let the liver metabolize it out of the liver

It is possible that your brain was impaired enough to influence life decisions.

There is no way to know exactly how much serotonin was increased. We have no way to quantify it. Instead we gauge the effects clinically.

Was it the pharmacist duty to have told me that paxil would not allow the liver to metabolize the amitriptyline?

The pharmacist should have offered you counseling on your medications when you got them filled which would have included an explanation of potential interactions.

Was it the duty of my doctor and my nurse to be educated enough to know and informed me that paxil will not allow the liver to metabolize the amitriptyline out of it?
How toxic does the amitriptyline become to the liver when the paxil does not allow the liver to metabolize the amitriptyline out of it?
Amitriptyline is not toxic to the liver.