Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I was changed from Metoprolol Tartrate 25gr. 3x per day...to…

Customer Question
I was changed from...

I was changed from Metoprolol Tartrate 25gr. 3x per day...to Tropol XL 50gr. to 1x per day.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

My question is..should I be taking Protol dosage of 75 gr. to match the Metoprolol 75gr, which was discontinued. If so, can I just add 25 gr. of Metoprolol tartrate to the 50 gr. of Protol XL, to make up the difference?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take Metformin 500gr, 2x per day, Norco 10.325 ev. 4 hrs as needed, Lisinopril 20gr. 2x per day. Lasik 20gr. 1x per day.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Allergic to Penicilin, sulfa, toradol

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
10/6/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Sone, Pharm.D. replied 8 months ago
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
Actually I would take Toprol xl 50mg once a day. It will control your blood pressure thoughtout the day, so you won't need to take extra.
Metoprolol Tartrate gets out of your system much quicker that is why it was given 3 times a day
Please ask any other questions you might still have. If have no further questions, then please kindly click on ACCEPT the answer for me to get credit for helping you.
Feel free to come back with any questions you have in the future.
Take care.
you did not answer my question. It is...I was taken off Metoprolol Tartrate 3x per day = total 75gr.
Put on Toprol XL 50 gr. 1x per day. Which makes me short 25 gr. My question was..can I take 25 gr. of Metoprolol Tartrate to make up the 25 gr. difference along w/the 50 gr. Toprol XL. Please don't charge me for another ? You did not answer my original ?
I am sorry for not being clear. And no you won't be charged again. You can ask as many questions as you have for the next 7 days with the same price you paid.
No you do not need to add 25 mg Metoprolol to make Toprol XL 75mg. Hope that answers your question :)
They are not 1 to 1 conversion. XL is an extended release tablet and works 24 hours in your body. Even it is 25mg less than the original dose, it will still control your symptoms. If not, then MD will increase it to 100mg XL.
But if you add another 25mg to make it 75mg, that will be fine too. Technically you should be on 75mg XL, but since XL does not come in 75mgs, doc put you on the next closest dose.
Or they could have given you two prescriptions for 25mg XL and 50mg XL, but then you will be paying twice as much with little benefit.
Does that answer your question? :)
Since I am able to ask additional ? w/no add/chg. Last ? is... if I add 25mg of Metoprolol Tartrate, is that compatible
w/toprol 50mg. Thank you ....
it is compatible. No problems if you use them together. I would check BP and heart rate to be sure they are over 90/60 and 60 respectively.
If I have answered your questions to your full satisfaction, then please be sure to rate my answers.
That is the only way just answer gives us credit for helping customers like yourself. Take care. And come back any time within the next 7 days to ask other questions as you won't have to pay extra for the next 7 days.