Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I am 73 years old and i want to go back to work. however on…

Customer Question
I am 73 years...

I am 73 years old and i want to go back to work. however on my drug test it tested positive i dont know why. i have never taking any illegal drugs. i do take claritin d and mucinex d every day during allegy season. will this cause a positive on urine drug test? i dont have money to pay for answer. i am on a fixed income. please helpi

Doctor's Assistant: What over-the-counter and prescription medications are you currently taking?

Claritin d mucinex d and blood pressure medicine and stomach medicine

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Ranitidine 150mg,gas x,aspirin 81mg,montelukast 10 mg,doxazosin 2 mg,aleve 440 mg,metoprolol tart 25mg,lisinopril 20mg,amlodipine 10mg,omeprazole 20mg,intesticlear,claritin d, mucinex ,xtra strength,sinus spray, malox.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
10/4/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist replied 10 months ago
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Hi! Claritin D contains pseudoephedrine, which commonly causes false positives for amphetamines.

Do you have any further questions for me about your drug test? I am happy to help:)

how about my other medications?

Your other medicines would not cause a false positive. The pseudoephedrine is definitely the culprit.