Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I've been taking cholestyramine (question) powder for some…

Customer Question
I've been taking cholestyramine...

I've been taking cholestyramine (question) powder for some time, and just heard that it also comes in bars. Where can I find a bar instead of the powder?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

None other. the cholestyramine/questran is for crohn's disease to bind the bile

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, i just want another form of the cholestyramine as it is a pain to take mixing it with water and staining my teeth

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

No swelling

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
9/28/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Sone, Pharm.D. replied 10 months ago
Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
I totally understand your concern. I am not sure if the bars are readily available as I have never dispensed them in our pharmacy. However, another drug from the same family called Colesstid comes in tablet forms and are much easier to take than the powder. I would ask the doctor to switch you to Colestid tablets.
If have no further questions, then please kindly click on ACCEPT the answer for me to get credit for helping you.
Feel free to come back with any questions you have in the future.
Take care.