Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Pharmacist
92765638

I have occasional anxiety attacks with chest pain and

I have occasional anxiety attacks with chest pain and palpitations. I am being evaluated for possible atrial ablation therapy. On my way to Colorado for one week at 9,000 feet ASL. A single dose of Diamox has caused urinary frequency, tingling sensation and alterations in taste especially carbonated drinks. Should I stop taking the Diamox, cancel my trip, or deal with the symptoms?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Anxiety is a frequent problem with occasional trips to the ER - rather unproductive; began 2 years ago. Hypertensive, otherwise no chronic health issues. I am 37 year old female.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
I would postpone the trip till after your ablation. It can get worse at higher elevations like that. I wonder if you are getting this from Arial fibrillation.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The atrial fibrillation is paroxysmal and only showed up on a Holter monitor i wore for two weeks; never showed up in the ER. So this is not a big issue in my life. My only concern is altitude sickness that may never occur. I will probably forget the Diamox prophylaxis and take my chances when I get to Colorado, seeking treatment as needed.
I see. The most you might feel is shortness of breath, but other than you should be fine.