Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

What are lot numbers and bar codes used for by pharmacies…

What are lot numbers...

What are lot numbers and bar codes used for by pharmacies when placed on prescription drugs?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No have friend that ordered cyclban (b12) vials online. Concerned because they have a bar code and a lot number on them. I'm wondering if someone stole them and are selling them?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

To him?

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz

Hi there. You are speaking with Dr Jonathan. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

If the B12 was purchased online, without a valid prescription, it is likely that it is being sold by illegal means. Lot numbers and bar codes are used to keep track of each batch of medication a company puts out. All medications have a lot number on the bottle/vial. My concern would be the sterility/safety of the B12 that was purchased since it was without a prescription, and the seller may not have the same storage/safety standards of a legitimate pharmacy.

I Agree. I thought if the vials were taken from a hospital or LTC facility that the bar code or lot number might reveal who or what person they were prescribed for. I told him not to order that stuff anymore. He can by B12 vitamins at the drug store.
injectable medications should be taken seriously, even if just vitamins. I would recommend sublingual B12 from a pharmacy. It dissolves under the tongue and the absorption is much better than regular pills.
There is an order number and a Rx number on these bottles as well and says no refills. Could that be traced to a patient maybe?
definitely. In that case it's definitely someone else's prescription being resold. That is illegal.

Hi! Did you have any further questions? I am still available if needed, but if not, you can click the button in the top right corner to submit your rating. Have a great day.

Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz