Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

My son is prescribed Buproprion, generic for Wellbutrin, for…

Customer Question
My son is prescribed...

My son is prescribed Buproprion, generic for Wellbutrin , for treatment of his bi-polar depression. Because he also, takes pain medication for back pain issues, he is now required to take an in office urine drug test. The urine drug test he was administered in the doctor's off came up positive for amphetimes. My son does not use any type of illegal amphetimes. We have recently discovered that Bupropion will test false/positive ffor amphetamines. Why are not doctor's informed of this result for Bupropion and how can we get a manufacturer of Bupropion to release information to us regarding the false'positive urine drug testing results from taking Bupropion. Thank you, ***** *****

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

My son takes Latuda, and Bupropion loratadine, Clonzepam, Ropinirole HCL Gabapentin, ibuprofen, Allopurinol, Chlorpromazine, Fenofibrate, Pramipexole and Buproprion.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Pharmacist: Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist replied 11 months ago
Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist

Hello, DrMike at your assist...

This one is near and dear to me... read on! It's a "drug-lab test interaction".
Bupropion can cause a false positive on urine drug screens, yes. I only know this because a urine drug screen that I took came up positive as well. I also take bupropion (and definitely no amphetamines going on here!). I was not asked fully what medications I was on. Imagine my own surprise/dismay/anger even, when I tested positive for amphetamines (which can include anything from Ritalin to methamphetamine).

Now, the test that they initially do, is a more generic test (cheaper)... but they can do a more specific and sensitive test that is more accurate. (I had to actually pay an additional $12 to get the more accurate test. Demand he be retested using the more sensitive and specific test.

It's a bit difficult for me to determine why they don't just do this sort of test in the first place, but I guess they justify it with $$$.

The fact that buproprion can cause a false positive is well documented in the literature, and it would be in the manufacturer's information. I think that the burden is on the drug testing facilities and the Dr's office. If a facility routinely performs such tests, they should know the common and even the uncommon potential interactions between meds and the tests that they use. This information should be made more transparent, you're right.

AND, I just went through your son's list again. I noted IBUPROFEN. Which I also take at prescription doses. This, too, can cause a false positive for amphetamines.

Me, I took myself off both my Wellbutrin and the ibuprofen before retesting, and had no issues.
I don't recommend your son go off the Wellbutrin, but he might well get by off the ibuprofen for a time. A couple days should be plenty.

So, I would say, "Don't distress too much at this point". Demand a retest using the more specific and sensitive test, inform them of what I've told you and that these drug-lab test interactions are well documented (it's easily Googled once you know what you're looking for). You may have to pay out of pocket for the 2nd test, or it might be covered by insurance as well.

Let me know if you have further questions regarding this, or if you'd like to talk more about it. I wish you the best -DrMike