Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

Just spoke to you and did not get an answer and paid my

Customer Question
Just spoke to you...

Just spoke to you and did not get an answer and paid my money for it

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Nucynta ER 50mg, Percocet For breakthrough pain .I have asthma and would like to know if there is a drug equivalent to this that does not interfere with breathing

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Over a year And failed back surgery pain since 1997 and spinal fusion in 1998 .It helps but I have asthma and it has a breathing indication .Is there another drug equivalent that does not have this indication

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
9/13/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist replied 11 months ago
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Hello! I replied to your original question at 9:10 am: Nucynta can certainly cause symptoms like shortness of breath and cough. Often times, it can occur when you first start on the drug or when the dose is increased. Is the Nucynta ER a new drug for you or did you recently have the dose increased?

No but I take care of both of my parents by myself my dad is 90 in dying of leukemia I would like to know if there is a drug that is similar that will not affect my asthma
No

Thanks for clarifying. Do you tolerate the Percocet without breathing trouble?

but is there a long acting drug like Nucynta That is equivalent that I could take

Yes, there is a long acting drug I would recommend: Oxycontin. It has the same ingredient that is in Percocet (oxycodone). Since you already know you tolerate that drug, it will be the best one to try.

Thank you

You are welcome!

Please feel free to reply here if you think of any follow-up questions. I will be happy to assist you!

Best wishes,

Dr. Bridget