Pharmacy

Pharmacy Questions? Ask a Pharmacist Online.

Pharmacy

I bought a syrup form of acetylcysteine at the pharmacy here

Hello I bought a syrup...
Hello I bought a syrup form of acetylcysteine at the pharmacy here in Brazil last night for a bad cough and phlegm. I am wondering about the dosage. According to the included instructions I am to take it only 1 x a day at night, 600mg (15ml) ( the syrup contains 20mg of acetil. per 1ml of syrup). Is this the correct dosage? And also the best cough expectorant to be taking? Thank you
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/12/2017
Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist

Hello, DrMike at your assist...
Acetylcysteine (often abbreviated NAC), yes, is used for cough, and it has been shown to reduce the production of sputum or phlegm. It's usually diluted in a bit of cola (for the taste) and taken all at once. Your dosage is correct, yes.

(As well, drinking plenty of water has always been good for respiratory congestion and avoiding smoking are helpful. But NAC has been shown to be quite effective.)

Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist
Thank you
Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist