Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist
Experience:  Doctor of Pharmacy, 20+ yrs experience, trained at the University of Iowa
38494804

I am wondering the common name for the drug adafin?

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, you are speaking with Dr Jonathan. There is no drug by that name, do you have any old bottles of it or another way it may be spelled? Maybe Ativan or Afrin?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No adafin it is an antidepressant/antipshycotic
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you able to look at pharmacy database I know it exists.

Oh I believe you are referring to Adapin. The generic name for Adapin is Doxepin.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it's adafin not adapin.

I'm sorry, did you get it in the United States with a prescription?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Like 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Although I could only find one article in Google for it.

Unfortunately, there is no drug by that name ever available in the U.S. I have searched old databases as well. I am almost certain you are talking about Adapin, which is an antidepressant/antipsychotic. Could you send me the link to what you found?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The article only mentions the drug I remember it had a really long name which it was called. The name of the list of side effects sheet showed adafin as the name and some really long name. https://prezi.com/m/bwfk_zsf_vgu/depressiom/

I see other typos in this presentation, for example, she spells depression as "Depressiom" a few times. It also seems she is not a medical professional based on her wording. I wouldn't recommend using this as a source of information, but I am now certain she spelled Adapin as "adafin" by mistake. If you Google Adapin, you will see that this is the medication you are asking about. (Generic name Doxepin).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I remember the medication I was prescribed had an f in it as adafin. Not adapin. It was also a antipsychotic unlike adapin.

Adapin is an antipsychotic. There is no such medication as Adafin. Please let me know if there is any other way I can help. Another thought would be to contact the doctor that prescribed you this medication so you can confirm what it was.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was a hardened capsule that would not break open easy it was red and white. What is the scientific name of adapin is it really long?

Almost all chemical names of medications are very long. Adapin's chemical name is (3E)-3-(6H-benzo[c][1]benzoxepin-11-ylidene)-N,N-dimethylpropan-1-amine. That is why generic names are ***** ***** generic name is Doxepin.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not see any red and white capsules for adapin I'm sure that it was not adapin and that it was adafin. Also the capsules for adapin drug do not look like the capsule that was prescribed to me. Thanks for your answer. Though seems you are unable to answer the question for me. I will try to contact the doctor that prescribed it to me.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also the scientific name for adafin was all one word not broken into parts like that.

Ok good luck. I hope you find your answer.

Expert:  Dr Mike, PharmD replied 1 month ago.

Hello, DrMike chiming in on this subject...
I am a doctor of pharmacy with over 20 years experience here in the US.
I would have to agree with Dr Yilmaz. There is nor has there been a drug by the name of "Adafin" in recent history (20+ years), and especially within the last 3 years.
There is something in the spelling that is keeping us from coming up with the name of the drug that you are referring to. You're going to have to dig a little deeper for me. If you had a capsule of course, that would be the best. But Dr Yilmaz has a good suggestion in contacting your prescribing Dr. He can tell you what it might have been.

I've been combing my mind trying to think of a potential candidate (antidepressants/antipsychotics)- and I'm coming up blanks.
Memory. It's a funny thing!
Post back if you come up with anything... I'm curious. -DrMike