Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz, Pharmacist
Experience:  Pharmacy, Pharmacotherapy, Pharmacology
98955275

What is the best med to take for severe RLS? I have been on

Customer Question

What is the best med to take for severe RLS? I have been on Ropinirole for about 1 year and it suddenly isn't helping at all. My legs stiffen up and jerk most of the time and it is becoming unbearable.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, I am 86yo and see my doctor routinely. It just became this bad shortly after I last saw him. I take Ropinirole 3mg in the morning and 1 mg in the evemimg. HydralAZINE 25MG mETROPROLOL35MG BUTENIDE1M BID FOR HYPERTENSION; DICLOFENAC 75MG FOR ethritis
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Yes, PCN and Cephalosporin
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm back on. My cat pulled the plug on my unit
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz replied 1 month ago.
Hi there. You are speaking with Dr Jonathan.
Ropinirole has shown to be the most effective in treating restless legs syndrome. However, if it isn't working for you, there is a new extended release form of Gabapentin that can be tried. Speak to your doctor about making any changes.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It juat so happens, he gave me that for my neuropathy, which I haven't taken yet due to the 4 pages of side effects that came along with it. And no, I am not a diabetic. I have enough problems, I don't want to contemplate suicide as the information says about it. I would think Big Pharma could come up with something or, perhaps I should consider seeing a Naturalist and they could suggest some non-chemical resolution for all my problems
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No call, please. I can't afford that. Hit the button by mistake.
You're welcome to try natural remedies as well. Another thing to consider is magnesium and B vitamin supplements. If your levels of these are low, it can worsen restless legs. A simple blood test can check.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I take both of those and have been for several years. I even get a B12 shot once a week. I had blood work done last week and everything is within normal limits. Do you think I should make an appt. with Dr. Oz? This would be something to stump him on his TV show. LOL I'm laughing because if I don't, I'll be crying. Any other suggestions?
I'm willing to consider them, if I haven't done them before.
There is a supplement called quinine that has shown promise. A naturalist would be able to help you get the dosing right, as it can be tricky. They may also know of other remedies I am not familiar with, so that may be your best bet!

Hi! Did you have any further questions? I am still available. If not, feel free to click the Accept button to end our chat. Have a great day.