Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

What would be the implications of a healthcare professional…

Customer Question
What would be the implications...
What would be the implications of a healthcare professional that refill (previously diagnosed , and prescribed by another doctor) for a non narcotic CIII due to chronic medical condition, just for a couple of times until he can see a provider.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
8/7/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist replied 11 months ago
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Hi! To clarify, are you asking if a pharmacist will refill a CIII controlled substance without an active prescription?

If the medication was previously prescribed by a physician, but due to unavailability of the prescribing physician , I renew it (w/o knowing was a CSIII)myself for 2 units (I'm a healthcare provider). This is due to a chronic condition , non narcotic, topical gel . The medication is dispensed , then I get the blame. I think the Pharmacy should reeducate the provider before dispensing (Proactive approach , rather than blame and report (Reactive approach).
Private email preferred.

I am confused...are you a physician that renewed your own prescription?

I am a mid level practitioner with prescribing authority. The original prescription was by another physician with 2 refills. I was suddenly transferred to another post in the military, due to schedule I couldnt visit my new assigned provider( a PA), so I put the order for myself, and it was dispensed. I assumed that since it was in the record that I was using the med and the pharmacy didnt raise any concerns it was ok to get a unit of the med. until I see my new provider. The new provider continue with the treatment even with more refills (double the amount).

Thanks for clarifying. If the pharmacy felt what you did was not appropriate, they should have never dispensed it in the first place. So yes, I agree that the pharmacy is ultimately in the wrong here for dispensing a controlled substance that was self-prescribed. Did I understand your situation correctly?

Is there some Rule or document about this? I understand that there is a bias for CS due to the opioid /narcotic epidemic, but leaving that out could you refer any published article , research or research regarding this issue. Also the need for education among practitioners to no self prescribe. It seems that more than 20 years ago , it was not taught at schools to dont self prescribe (again leaving the narcotics out). I heard a lot of stories about residents and physicians doing it.

The AMA has a code of ethics regarding prescriber's treating themselves: http://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/2012/05/coet1-1205.html

Here is an additional article on this topic (this is from the state of Florida, but the rules are the same in many other states that do not allow physician's to self-prescribe controlled substances): http://professionals.ufhealth.org/files/2011/11/0706-drugs-therapy-bulletin.pdf

I don't know of any articles written about the need for education on this topic, but this article points out that it is commonly done despite being against the code of ethics: https://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/_WMS/publications/wmj/pdf/107/6/279.pdf

Hi! How is everything going with the ethics of self prescribing? I haven't heard back from you since my last reply:)