Pharmacy

Pharmacy Questions? Ask a Pharmacist Online.

Pharmacy

I had a severe reaction to the clindamycin my dentist

Customer Question
I had a severe...

I had a severe reaction to the clindamycin my dentist prescribed: bad stomach cramps and diarrhea. He has now switched to clarithromycin. Is this likely to cause the same or similar symptoms?

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

It lasted for a couple of weeks; it finally cleared up. I had no vomiting or nausea.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Medications I take / daily dose: Abilify/15 mg, Wellbutrin/200 mg, Prozac 60 mg, Immodium/1 tablet daily, Losartan-HCTZ/100-25 mg, Propranolol/160 mg, Seroquel/100 mg, Simvastatin/20 mg, Primidone/100 mg. Plus aspirin/81 mg, and multivitamin.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
8/6/2017
Pharmacist: drphophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 6 months ago
drphophalia
drphophalia, Doctor (MD)

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Any antibiotic can cause reaction or significant adverse effects. So Clarithromycin too may have some side effects. But usually it is far less likely to cause adverse reactions.

You may consider taking Probiotics which prevent stomach cramps and diarrhea when on antibiotics.

Probiotics are without prescription.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia, Doctor (MD)