Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I am 70 yr. old black female (sensitive to gluten) whose…

Customer Question
I am 70 yr...

I am 70 yr. old black female (sensitive to gluten) whose appetite needed stimulating 2- years ago to gain weight.My family took me to a counselor,nurse practioner who placed me on 15 mg mirtazapine to stimulate appetite. I told her 2 pharmacists told me vitamin B complex was a natural way to increase appetite then she reduced it to 7.5 mg. My daughter and son-in law with no medical background told her to give me 30 mg.After 2 years I am back on 15 mg.I told counselor it causes heartburn and does not stimulate appetite. I want to get off of it. and Counselor said just Stop Taking It. Evidently she did not know what she was doing.I told her I understand I can't just stop taking it. Then she said cut 15mg in half.This meds burns my stomach and chest. Also I have been on Levothyroxine meds since 1992. And in 2014 I moved to Richmond, VA which caused a change in pharmacies for Levothyroxine. Just 3 months ago I discovered the pharmaceutical company puts "Gluten" in its Levothyroxine and I am sensitive to Gluten.which caused me to loose weight. My local pharmacist advised getting a generic brand of Levothyroxine which my primary care doctor wrote a prescription for generic Levothyroxine cause my gluten sensitivemy & unwantd weight loss. And I did not need an antidepressant. So whats the best way to eventually go off of Mirtazapine?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Daily I take 75 mg Levothyroxine (generic brand) and at night I cut the 15 mg of Mirtazapine in half. And I have been on Mirtazapine for 2 years.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had a good medical history.I was retired at age 65 from corporate companies but worked part time as a Chick Filet hostess in a shopping center for 19 months And as mentioned, the Gluten was in the Levothyroxine medication & caused weight. For many years I have only been on the thyroid meds--until now its also this Mirtazapine.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
8/2/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz, Pharmacist replied 11 months ago
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz

Hi there, you're speaking with Dr Jonathan.

Since you're taking 7.5 mg of Mirtazapine (half of a 15mg), I would recommend stopping now. This is the lowest possible dose, so there is no more room to taper it down. It may take a week or so after stopping it until you feel back to your usual self, but that is normal. If you are concerned about your medications causing you to lose weight, be sure your doctor is checking your Thyroid hormone levels regularly. If your dose of Levothyroxine is too high, this can also trigger weight loss.

Hi! Did you have any further questions? I am available if you need. When you are ready to close out the conversation, you can leave your rating in order to do so. Have a great day!