Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Pharmacist
92765638

Along with a prescription for Atovaquone-Proguanil Hcl

Customer Question

Along with a prescription for Atovaquone-Proguanil Hcl 250-100 it states that if you are on Warfarin see your doctor. Can you tell me why?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take Warfarin, Furosemide, Coreg, Mobic, Zolpidem, Lyrica, Tramadol. Allergic to Altace and Cipro
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Aortic Valve replacement 2013, bi-ventricular pacemaker and defibrallator installed May 15, 2017. Atrial fibrillation started two weeks ago and I am having a TEE cardioversion in two days. Heading to South America on October 8, 2017
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Sone replied 2 months ago.
You are fine. It is just a precaution. As long as your doctor or warfarin clinic monitors your warfarin levels (PT/INR) and adjust warfarin dose accordingly, you are fine to take them together.
Please let me know if have any other questions. Even if done for now, you can still always come back and continue this chat session at no extra charge for 7 days. Please be sure to kindly rate my answer (Hopefully 5 stars!!). Take care.
Expert:  Dr. Sone replied 2 months ago.
Besides if cardioversion is successful and your stay in Normal Sinus Rhythm, you won't need warfarin any more
Expert:  Dr. Sone replied 2 months ago.
If you are on warfarin for a.fib and Aortic Valve Replacement, then you might end up staying on it for the Valve, unless it is a tissue valve. In that case, you will use warfarin for 3 months. Let me know if have any other questions.