Pharmacy

Pharmacy Questions? Ask a Pharmacist Online.

Pharmacy

I am highly concerned about my 101 year old's Granny current

Customer Question
I am highly concerned about...
I am highly concerned about my 101 year old's Granny current doctor Internal Medicine (Who recently lost an 85year old mother) and Prescription Review, medication and vitamin interactions and my grandmother's recent admission to hospital because of daytime care giver giving my grandmother a narcotic with severe reactions of not even remembering being transferred into the ambulance July 12th and discharged from hospital July 16th. I am the live in granddaughter that who takes vital signs, hygiene assistance and set up of prescription box. My questions yesterday with the Doctor were questionable without sufficient explanation of all interactions of medications and vitamins. I have documentation for review with my concerns on Justanswer to day.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pharmacy
7/26/2017
Pharmacist: Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz, Pharmacist replied 3 months ago
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz

Hi there. You're speaking with Dr Jonathan. I'd be happy to review her medication list for you.

Feel free to upload any documents or photos you may have.

Granny was given a whole pill of hydrocodone from Perrox bottle by a daytime caregiver and could not even remember being transferred into the ambulance. Granny has also had severe reaction from a whole pill of mirtizipine prescribed by longtime Internal Medicine/Dr. Penny West that I personally do not trust anymore. My in house caregiving notes that granny gets splotch rash reactions on her face and lips from Losartin. During the recent hospital stay she was given Losartin and broke out. When we got home. Losartin was discontinued and splotches cleared. Against all my home care notes and periodic monitoring of vital signs, Dr. Penny west continued to prescribe medications that granny does not take from this current list after the hospital stay and against the advice of the Direct Care from Dr. S***** *****/Internal Medicine doctor from granny's recent stay in the hospital caused by Hydrocodone reaction and UTI. The first few evening hours in hospital hospital staff clarified that she did not have a UTI then in the morning at 3:30am they determined a different diagnosis of UTI and recovery of Hyrdrocodone reaction.
Dr. Penny West has also given the okay to take Losartin Escitalopram and Lyrica along with multiple vitamins all in one day without explaining the possible side effect reactions and Risks to my grandmother. This doctor also actually said to keep any extra medications because other family members may need them in the Family. Instead both my granny and I just told the Doctor to please keep the medications and I personally had already got rid of All bottles from different doctors not under their care and gave them to the hospital to dispose of. I am actually in big disagreement with family members to discontinue Services from this doctor who also recently lost her own 85 year old mother this passed year and I feel that her judgement and non-chalant attention to my questions of interactions and risks off all my grannys medication list are inaccurate.

Thank you for the records and information. I am glad you are trying to consolidate all the medications so as to make sure all active medications are accounted for. That is a great idea. As far as I can see, there are no serious interactions of note with these medications. Although, I am still unclear as to whether she is ok taking Losartan now or not? It seems that she shouldn't be taking it based on her reaction? Does this happen every time she takes it?

Some other options if she is allergic to Losartan would be Olmesartan or Irbesartan.

Since the discharge from hospital, Losartin Has Not been given to granny. Rashes cleared. Yes she gets rashes every time she takes Losartin along with nausea, headache and dizziness.

I see. Is her blood pressure now well controlled? If so, then her current medications would be sufficient and she may not even need Losartan anymore.

her blood pressure has been controlled since discharge of hospital. We have also have Clonindine on the side as needed only when BP goes over 160 over.
Im glad to hear its controlled. For now, I think she will do well on her current medications. Just keep an eye on her blood pressure. She is lucky to have an attentive granddaughter such as yourself! If you have any concerns in the future, please dont hesitate to ask.
Hi there. I hope I was able to answer your questions. When you are ready to close out our conversation, you can leave your rating to do so. Have a great day.
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz
Dr. Jonathan Yilmaz, Pharmacist