William Pflugfelder
William Pflugfelder, Pharmacist
Experience:  Pharmacist at Health Care Consultants
90258775

I'm on blood pressure medicine and it's not working. I was

Customer Question

Hi I'm on blood pressure medicine and it's not working. I was wondering if it would be okay for me to take another medicine just to lower my blood pressure for tonight until I can talk to my doctor. I know that the old medicine works.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I'm allergic to Sulfa drugs. I take 20mg of Lisonpril and 12.5 mg of carvedilol twice a day. I took the Carvedilol last at 8PM I want to take nicardipine My BP is high and I have a cold. It's 181/112
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm 37, 7 months post pregnancy and I had preeclampsia due to an underlying kidney disease I've had. That's why I'm on BP meds but none work but the nicardipine yet
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  William Pflugfelder replied 3 months ago.
Just a moment while I review your question.
It is probably best to take your blood pressure one more time. If you get a similar result it is probably best t to get to am urgent care or emergency room.Given your history that is probably brst. Hope helpfulDrBillRPh