Pharmacy

Pharmacy Questions? Ask a Pharmacist Online.

Pharmacy

I was reading something very disheartening online. A woman

said that she received one...
I was reading something very disheartening online. A woman said that she received one of her medications and was taking it for awhile but noticed it not working right. Turns out that the makers of the drug put the wrong dose in the pills. They discovered that particular drug maker had done it with others. She said it would have been fatal. Does this happen a lot?
1/28/2017
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Hi there Lisa!

Yes, this can be a very startling error to be subject to! Occasionally there are recalls on medicines because they could be potentially unsafe or ineffective. Fortunately, it is not a common occurrence at all. I think I have actually only seen one recall during my career for a drug that potentially had the improper ingredient ratio (Digitek is the example I recall). I would consider this type of error to be extremely rare.

Regards,

Dr. Bridget

when the bottle gives the color of the pill and tells what it looks like. Would that be inaccurate in case of a recall, because it is the inside of the capsule that may be incorrect?

The description of the drug on the bottle would still be accurate, unless the manufacturer error was putting the wrong dose/drug in the bottle before it ships to the pharmacy.

yep. that is what I was thinking. Anyway I am glad I you responded tonight. I have something else since you have been answering lots of my questions on Beta Blockers and CCB. So today I stop Atenolol and started the 120 mg extended release Diltiazem. Within 1 1/2 hours blood pressure shot up to 175 over 106. Took the Dilt. at 9:30 AM. Been feeling horrible all day. Heart rate has been fluctuating all over the place. The highest has been 128, but normally standing it just stays at 112. When I sit goes down, but not to the normal resting. Also headache, chills, flu like aches. I think I am having an adrenalin surge from not taking the Altenolol. I keep taking my temp thinking I have one. Bp is coming down and is about 134 over 84. Heart rate still stays elevated. So my question is when should I seem Diltazamen lowering the heart rate or should it have worked by now? Also would like to take Tylenol but heard it can elevate bp and not sure I am in a really good state for that to occur. What do you think?

The Diltiazem should start working within 2-3 hours after the first dose with the max effect occurring anywhere from 6-11 hours after the dose. It may take a couple of days of taking Diltiazem to get the absolute max effect out of the drug.

Tylenol is considered safe for those with high blood pressure. High blood pressure has been seen with intravenous Tylenol and is extremely rare. Tylenol will be ok for you take.

Is it possible that it won't work to lower my heart rate as the beta blocker did?

It is possible, as everyone reacts differently to medicines. I have not heard of resistance to CCBs, though, so I am sure you will the response you need even if it means going to a higher dose.

A cardiologist told me it isn't the drug of choice for tachycardia? Normally beta blockers are. Have you heard this? Is it okay to take Pepcid complete. I have really bad dyspepsia. Normally I was told to not take it with the medicine to wait a few hours, but with time released not quite sure how that works? Also, because Diltiazem takes longer to work than Altenolol once the dose is taken. How does that work when the medicine begins to wear off? It seems like there would be a gap between the end of one dose and when the other starts working which would make my bp elevated in the morning.

I have not heard this. I see both used for tachycardia, but your cardiologist likely has his/her favorite.

Pepcid complete is fine with Diltiazem CD...no interactions.

Diltiazem CD does take longer for onset of action and peak effect, but both have a duration of 24 hours...hence the once daily dosing for both.

Have any of the patients you worked with experienced super achiness, arm muscle fatigue, and feeling flu like. I feel horrible and I know it is from not taking altenolol. Are these withdraw symptoms. Also short of breath and feeling like someone sitting on chest is worse than before. Bp is normal. Heart rate still fluctuating tonight esp when standing.

Yes, fatigue can be a part of withdrawal.

Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist