Ashley Cockerill
Ashley Cockerill, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Pharmacist/Educator at VMS Biomarketing
96975876

I have severe sleep anxiety over taking Zoloft. I take 50mg

Customer Question

I have severe sleep anxiety over taking Zoloft . I take 50mg and have been for about 6 weeks. Prior to this taking cipramil 20mg for 5 yrs. I take melatonin 2mg night. I am sleeping well but I searched Zoloft on google and saw insomnia as side effect so now I'm petrified as that is what my anxiety is I over. Please can u help me- to explain why there is nothing to worry about
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Ashley Cockerill replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I'm happy to help.

Have you been having insomnia since first beginning to take the Zoloft?

I see that you said you have been sleeping well, so that answers my question. Insomnia is a side effect of Zoloft, however not everyone experiences this side effect. The information from the medication monograph states that less than 16% of patients who were followed in the clinical trial experienced insomnia. I encourage you to take the medication in the morning to avoid the side effect of insomnia while taking it. I know how difficult and frustrating it can be to manage sleep anxiety. Just remember that you are sleeping well and that should help to alleviate some of that anxiety. Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I take it in the morning are there no insomnia side effects left at night time. Please can u be specific and detail I need that for my mind.

I apologize for the delay. If you have been taking it in the morning for the last 6 weeks and have not had any side effects of insomnia, then you should not be worried about experiencing insomnia due to this medication.