Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience:  Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.
89476429

I completely forgot I was taking amoxicillin while taking

Customer Question

Hello! I completely forgot I was taking amoxicillin while taking birth control and had sex without a condom this evening...Should I take Plan B?
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: Yes, and perfect.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question! You're speaking with Dr. Bridget. I appreciate your patience as I review your question and prepare my response.

Sorry for you wait in getting a response. I just logged in for the day and saw your question waiting.

Yes, you should get Plan B today. Also, use a backup method of birthcontrol during and for 7 days following the completion of your Amoxicillin treatment.

Do you have any additional questions for me? I am happy to help:)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Even if I am taking the pill?

Yes, continue taking the pill as directed and also use a backup method. Because the Amoxicillin renders your birth control pill ineffective, it will take time for the levels of hormone to build back up again for it to be effective. Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Use a back up method I understand, however should I discontinue use of pill and get Plan B to be more effective?

You will want to continue the birth control pill even though you use Plan B to build up an effective level of hormones going forward. It won't make Plan B more or less effective, but you don't want to wait to get started in making your birth control pill effective again.

Do you have any additional questions? I am still here:)

If you're all set, please let me know. Thank you!

If you have no more questions for now, please take a moment to use the star scale near the chat box to rate my service today.

You may continue to reply even after providing a rating. I will be more than happy to help:)

It has been a pleasure assisting you today and I hope to help you again in the future.

Best regards,

Dr. Bridget

Expert:  Dr. Bridget replied 8 months ago.

Hello! How did everything go with the Plan B?

Regards,

Dr. Bridget