Pharmacy

Pharmacy Questions? Ask a Pharmacist Online.

Pharmacy

Is it safe to take sudafed 12 hr for congestion when your

Customer Question
also taking Paxil 30mg? JA: What...
Is it safe to take sudafed 12 hr for congestion when your also taking Paxil 30mg?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I'm only allgeric to sulfa drugs. I only take Paxil 30mg daily
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pharmacy
10/27/2016
Pharmacist: Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist replied 1 year ago
Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist

Yes, it is OK to take these two medications together, and there are no worries with your allergy. (However, do avoid the OTC cough suppressant dextromethorphan, which can lead to a condition called Serotonin Syndrome if taken with Paxil).
Again, Thank you for the question - -DrMike

Sudafed is often combined with other drugs such as the dextromethorphan for cough, guaifenesin for chest congestion, antihistamines for runny nose and watery eyes... but the real one to watch out for is the dextromethorphan.
That's the one that can really lead to a rare but significant interaction called Serotonin Syndrome. -DrMike

(This appears to be a duplicate question of one that was previously asked - I will have the moderators remove it, if this is the case.)

Pharmacist: Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D. replied 1 year ago
Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.

I would like to add that Sudafed should not be used if you have any history of high blood pressure or certain heart conditions. Hopefully this fully answers your question Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.

Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.