Dr. Sone
Dr. Sone, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Pharmacist
92765638

I have taken Ambien (generic Zolpidem) of 10 mg. for 10

Customer Question

I have taken Ambien (generic Zolpidem) of 10 mg. for 10 years under by prior doctor who retired about 2 years ago. I had no side effects and slept about 7 hours. My current doctor only allows 5 mg.tablets per night. This lower dose does not work. I get about 3 to 4 hours of sleep a night with the 5 mg. tablets. Would I be able to order 10 mg Zolpidem from your drug store? Also, I think I would be sleep better if I could purchase Zolpidem ER 12.5 mg. Can you help me? Last night I could not fall asleep until 5:30 pm due to the low dosage of Zolpidem (5 mg). Thank you for your consideration.--Jim
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I am not allergic to any medications. I am not talking other medications. I am in excellent physically shape. I could stand to lose 10 pounds or more. I take vitamins: Fish oil, CoQ10, multiple vitamin with minerals.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No negative medical health history. I am 67 years old. And because of my age, I feel doctors here do not want to prescribe Zolpidem. When I told my current doctor I had gone several days without sleep (2 years ago when I began with him) he prescribed half of what I had been taking and I have been taking 5 mg of Zolpidem since. I only get a few hours sleep now. When I was taking 10 mg, I was able to mostly 7 or so hours sleep. Because of my age of 67, doctors here (Indiana, USA) don't want to prescribe Zolpiderm. I would be glad to answer any other questions. I also work in the medical field as a mental health counselor (since 1987).
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Sone replied 12 months ago.
I would ask the doctor for an alternative such as Temazepam 15 mg. In the meantime, you can try Melatonin, Valerian or Benadryl OTC.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. I reread my message and meant to say I could not sleep until 5:30 am (not 5:30 pm). In the past Melatonin work for 3 years (many years ago). I have tried Valerian root extract and Kava Kava and other OTC sleeping mediations. Benadryl keeps me awake. Nothing OTC currently works. Maybe Night Quill, but that's not good for me, I awaken feeling bad until noon. And that gets worse over time. Trasadone and Temazepam do not work as it affects my memory and slows me down --and I work daily as a mental health counselor. I was wanting to see if I may try Zolidem ER 12.5 mg, or if that is too expensive, 10 mg regular Zolidem. Can you help me?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I guess I will just discuss this with my doctor. I am not understanding how your service works. Please refund the $5. Thanks.
This is only a question answer site. You will need to see md to get a prescription. I suggest trying 6.25mg CR and then go up to 12.5mgCR if no relief