Pharmacy

Pharmacy Questions? Ask a Pharmacist Online.

Pharmacy

Is Mucinex and Zicam OK to use while taking Dofetilide

(Tiikosyn) ?...
Is Mucinex and Zicam OK to use while taking Dofetilide (Tiikosyn) ?
10/19/2016
Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist

Hello! And, thanks for your question. I'm DrMike, a pharmacist with over 20 year’s experience, and I'm glad to help you today. I’ll just take some time while I review your question and get back to you with a response. I may have some initial questions for you…

The 'Mucinex' that you are referring to, is it straight guaifenesin? Or does it contain other active ingredients? (like dextromethorphan or pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, etc - listed under the active ingredients with the guaifenesin - this is quite important).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Phenylephrine

Ok, and, I have to ask the same of the Zicam? Straight Zinc? Lozenges or nasal spray, what-have-you... just want to ensure there are no other active ingredients in there...

Tikosyn has some potentially major drug interactions as I'm sure you're aware, so I apologize for the seemingly trivial questions...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Echinacea The ZicamRapidmelts

Ok, I apologize for your wait...
I have checked multiple sources, and I can find no issue with any of these OTC medications and your Tikosyn.

If you can, separate them from the Tikosyn by a couple hours or so, so the Tikosyn has a chance to be absorbed and do its thing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

if you would like additional information simply Reply, and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. If you are satisfied with this answer, kindly Accept and Rate my service with you. -DrMike

I do wish you all the best...

-Michael

.

.

Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist
Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD
Dr Mike, PharmD, Pharmacist