Dr. Sheldon
Dr. Sheldon, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Pharmacist
92589141

Have you heard of Ranitidine 15 mg/ml syrup to be used to

Customer Question

Have you heard of Ranitidine 15 mg/ml syrup to be used to prevent warts? My son had some warts frozen and this was perceived to take to prevent others from coming
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. Sheldon replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ramona,

Yes I have heard of Ranitidine to be used to prevent warts. Your son will need to be on it long term (a few months at least to prevent and treat). Please continue to ask any questions you might still have. If fully satisfied, then please kindly rate my answer :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just taking your word for it. Given no definitive explanation!

It is fairly commonly use in teenagers for that purpose.

With very good results

Please see the results below of a large study done for that purpose:

In an open-label, prospective study (n=39), RANITIDINE was shown to reduce the number and/or size of warts in a high percentage of study subjects. Enrollees had common warts or plane warts, multiple in number (range 5 to 63), with duration of disease from 1 to 8 years (mean 2.8 years). Warts in all subjects were recalcitrant to 1 or more treatment modalities. Ranitidine was given as 300 milligrams orally twice daily for 4 months. At the end of treatment, 19 subjects (48.7%) demonstrated a complete response to therapy, 10 subjects (25.7%) showed a partial response (more than 50% reduction in size/number of lesions), and 5 (12.8%) had a minimal response (less than 50% reduction in size/number of lesions). Five patients had no response to treatment. None of the study participants exhibited disease progression. The majority of respondents began to demonstrate regression of lesions between weeks 6 and 8. At follow-up 6 months after the treatment period, complete responders showed no evidence of recurrence. Ranitidine was well tolerated with no drug-induced adverse effects

Hope that puts your mind at ease as I can understand your concern as a parent :)

Checking back to see if you have any other questions and how is your son doing?
I strive to provide five star service. Hope I have addressed your questions & concerns to your satisfaction. Once completely satisfied, then please kindly rate my answer. Thank you very much for using JustAnswer.com. Take care.