Pharmacy

Pharmacy Questions? Ask a Pharmacist Online.

Pharmacy

I took 4 mg of zamaflex. I am breastfeeding will this pass

Customer Question
into my milk and stay...
I took 4 mg of zamaflex. I am breastfeeding will this pass into my milk and stay or will it go out of my milk over time. Trying to figure out when I can feed my 5 month old and if I need to pump and dump :/
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pharmacy
3/21/2016
Pharmacist: Saqib, Pharmacist replied 1 year ago
Saqib
Saqib, Pharmacist

Hi. Zanaflex is short acting medicine and dosed very 8 hours. Manufacturer has no studies human milk excretion of this drug.

My suggestion to you is that you can feed the baby 6 hours after the dose and at other times feed a formula for few days. you can also do the pump and store it.

if pump and store, please read articles about breast milk storage at Medlineplus and follow all precautions. If you accept this answer, please rate my service by clicking on the stars.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Confused about this part "My suggestion to you is that you can feed the baby 6 hours after the dose and at other times feed a formula for few days. you can also do the pump and store it." So can I feed her after six hours or are you saying formula for days??

You can also find good articles about breast milk storage at mayoclinic.org

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I only took one dose. Not planning on taking more...

I mean to say that if you need to feed the baby every 3-4 then you can feed formula inbetween your 6 hourly breast feeding

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so the medicine will be out of the breastmilk 6 hrs after taking it?

Yes, most of it will be out

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What are the risks.

As the drug is fat soluble, it can still appear into the breast milk but the effects on the infant are not listed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok...still not really sure what to do but thank you for Trying

I will say the best solution will be to store milk and then take the dose right away and do not pump the milk for next 8 hours. And also increase the interval between drug dosing to 12 hours. That way there will be less cumulative effect and much less chance of appearing it in the milk

Pharmacist: Dr. Sheldon, Pharm.D. replied 1 year ago
Dr. Sheldon
Dr. Sheldon, Pharm.D.
Hi there,
Here is a much simpler answer.
You and your baby will be just fine. Feed the baby in 2-3 hours. Since you only took one single dose, there will be no harm to the baby. Baby that is born full term are not at any risk.
Hope this puts your mind at ease as I can understand your concern for your 5 months olds safety.
if you need to take the medication in the future, you can do it 2 different ways: no need to pump and dump or even pump and save.
1. Feed the baby and then take the medication. That will cover you and the baby for the next 4 hours.
OR
2. Take the medication and feed the baby 4-6 hours later.
Even if the medication passes in the milk, it would be an insignificant amount and baby will be perfectly safe.
Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy
Pharmacy School Professor
For any future questions, feel free to contact me directly. Here is the link to my home page:
http://www.justanswer.com/pharmacy/expert-pharmdy2k/?rpt=3800
Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy, Clinical Rotations Adjunct Professor
Please kindly rate the answer so I can get credit for helping. We only get credit when client rates us :)
Checking back to be sure if you don't have any other questions. If no further questions, then please rate my answer. I only get credit for helping when it is rated :)
Take care.
Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy
Hi there,
Following up to see if you are not "touching it out" by not taking your medicine afraid it will affect the baby adversely.
Rest assured, you and the baby will be just fine if you take the medicine as I recommended. Last thing you want is to be in pain and not able to care for your child as you can when pain free.
Please take your medicine, and continue breastfeeding.
I am here to help with any question or concern you might have.
Take care.
Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy
Dr. Sheldon
Dr. Sheldon
Dr. Sheldon, Pharm.D.