Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

Can Vistaril cause a false positive on a urine drug test for…

Customer Question
Can Vistaril cause a...

Can Vistaril cause a false positive on a urine drug test for benzos

Doctor's Assistant: It can be really useful knowing what is showing up in drug tests. I'm sure our Expert will help you decide whether to get one or not. Please give me a bit more information, so the Pharmacist can help you best.

My son was seen by a crisis center yesterday and benzos showed up in his urine drug test he is taking paxil and vistaril and said that he has not taken a benzos.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pharmacy
3/7/2016
Pharmacist: Drugdad, Pharmacist replied 2 years ago
Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist

Hi, thanks for the question. What other medications are you son taking apart from Vistaril and paxil. It is not the Vistaril that is likely to be causing the false positive but rather, it is the Paxil. False positive from SSRI's are well documented so talk to your doctor about it.

Pharmacist: Dr. Josh, Pharm.D. replied 2 years ago
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Pharm.D.

Yes it does. I take 50 mg per night and i failed drug test for benzo a secondary test though shows the truth and should show you clear.

Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy

Vistaril is labeled as an antihistamine and as an hypnotic/sedative, it is also an antianxiety med. It may cause a false positive on a drug screening, I would advise the testing person that you are on this medicine so they can tell the difference in the drug screening. Hope this information helps some. Good luck.

I strive to provide quick, accurate, customized, complete, and thoughtful answers to questions on topics I know well. Once fully satisfied, then please kindly rate my answer :)

Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy

Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Pharm.D.