Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

I am trying to find a generic (or brand) company that has…

Customer Question
I am trying to find...
I am trying to find a generic (or brand) company that has metformin ER in a pill that is NOT a "ghost pill/casing" that comes out as solid in stool. I was on squibb's in the past; it came out solid. I was recenlty on Lupin's osmotic and that was great (dissolved) but now my insurance refuses to cover it and I can't afford it. I am trying to find one that dissolves. Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pharmacy
2/23/2016
Pharmacist: Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D. replied 2 years ago
Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.

The osmotic forms brand name is ***** ***** comes in two strengths ER 500mg and ER 1000mg. The 1000 mg is much more expensive and I 'm assuming that this is the strength you were on. If so try to get a prescription for the 500mg and double the dose. Even if it's not covered it should not be too expensive on cash price for the 500mg strength. Hopefully this fully answers your question. Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.

I'm sorry I did t mention the dose. No, I am on the 500, I will soon go to the 1000. Either way, the fortamet is outrageous and the only generic, from Lupin, is also too expensive (for 30-500 mg the lowest I've found is about $90.). So I'm searching for that product less (ideally), OR I have no choice but to go off osmotic, back to regular delivery ER-problem is I now have GI issues (diverticulosis, they want to do sigmoid resection whenever I chose to do it; inflammation, colitis, IBS, etc). I need to find one that doesn't stay solid all the way thru. The metformin ERfrom Squibb did, someone else said the one from Anmeal did. Many companies make it, I need to find one that doesn't use a casing/ghost pill delivery system so it may dissolve. Please help me! Thanks.
The one from Teva also reportedly comes thru solid.

I will get some pricing for you tomorrow at my work.

I looked into pricing. The medication is expensive that you are wanting to find. I would suggest none ER metformin if that is an option for you.

No, I need the ER. Can u find ANY generic metformin ER that does not use the "ghost pill/casing".? Perhaps try and find out from your sources; colleagues, message boards etc, which one may actually dissolve & not remain solid. The generics are cheap and not everyone has them come out solid...so what happens to them? They do dissolve... I just don't know which generic. thank you!!! I appreciate your help. I really can't go off the ERs.

I will explain the three type of Metformin that are ER. The osmotic release tablet you are referring to is Fortamet and only has one generic available that is very expensive made by Lupin. So if that is the only one you can take then that is your only option. Glumetza uses a MOD (modified release mechanism) to release the active ingredient and does come out in the feces. It is also expensive. The third type is Glucophage XR it comes generic and uses a polymer matrix system to release the active ingredients and may have inactives come out in the feces. This form is very affordable and has several generic companies that make it. Hopefully this fully answers your question. Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.

Checking back o see if you need further assistance once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.