Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

My sister and her boyfriend are on the way to visit me where…

Customer Question
Hi, my sister and her...
Hi, my sister and her boyfriend are on the way to visit me where I live in Istanbul, Turkey. Her boyfriend tested positive for strep throat earlier this week and was put on penicillin. As they were leaving for their trip, my sister developed the symptoms and it seems she got strep throat from him. Unfortunately, he forgot his medication at home so now they are both without medication. The closest thing I could get here over the counter without a prescription was amoxycillin (500mg, 16 tablets per course). I am wondering if a) Is it okay for him to switch from penecillin (he was taking 500 mg 2 times a day for 2 days so far) to amoxycillin to treat his strep throat and b) if It's okay for my sister to start taking this without a strep test (it's pretty clear she has strep) and if it will help her illness. They are only visiting a short time and I want them to get well ASAP, and it's not so easy to go to the hospital to find an English speaking doctor here.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pharmacy
2/19/2016
Pharmacist: Saqib, Pharmacist replied 2 years ago
Saqib
Saqib, Pharmacist

Hi there. Thanks for your question and its a pleasure to help. First make sure that the Amoxycillin which you have are not expired and they were stored properly which means you should buy them from a good quality pharmacy.

Now coming to the question, the gentleman can definitely switch to Amoxycillin. Its a very good option for strep throat. The dose will be 1 capsule every 8 hours instead of twice daily. Your sister can also take it if you are sure that its a strep. and will be helpful for her as well unless if she had been taking Amoxil too frequently or not finishing a prescribed course properly; in that case she might have developed Amoxycillin resistant bacteria. Please rate me if you like my service. Thanks

Thank you. Should he take the full course of Amoxycillin now, or factor in that he was already on Penicillin for two days and deduct that time?

He can deduct 2 days and continue for next 8 days.