Pharmacy

Pharmacy questions? Ask a pharmacist online.

My name is ***** ***** and I have taken GERD medications for…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** and I have taken GERD medications for many years. I was on Nexium for a long time but then it stopped working for me and I was switched to prevacid which clicked in and has been working for me for many years. I take 30 mg once a day. But then I read a report that said that such medications can increase one's risk of kidney disease by 50%. So I asked my doctor if I could pull back on the prevacid as I was feeling fine. He suggested trying every other day. For about a week or so I only took it every other day. Now, my heartburn is acting up again and I am back to taking it every day. My question is this: While taking prevacid, can I also take zantac75 till I get this under control again? And, how long will this take?

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Well. I've been on these medications for probably more than 15 years. Have had no surgery or other serious problems.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pharmacy
2/19/2016
Pharmacist: Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist
Experience: Clinical Geriatric Pharmacist; Pharmacy Practice Residency training with extensive knowledge in pharmacological treatment of diseases;Special interest in alternative remedies.

Hi! Yes you can take Zantac while taking Prevacid. Zantac starts working within an hour and its effect last for 8-12 hours. Does this help? Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Pharmacist: Saqib, Pharmacist replied 2 years ago
Saqib
Saqib, Pharmacist

Hi friend. The peer reviewed clinical literature and Takeda (manufacturer) does not mention any adverse effect of Prevacid on kidney function. So rest assured you can still continue your Prevacid. But if you want to give a try to Zantac you can do so. Zantac does has a precaution for people with existing kidney disease or those more than 65 years old. People in this category should not take more than 150 mg per day of Zantac. Thanks for contacting us.

I had forgotten to provide a rating scale, but have done that for you now. Please take a moment to review the answer I have posted for you and kindly provide a rating at your convenience. Again, please don't hesitate to reply with additional questions. Thank you!

Pharmacist: Dr. Josh, Pharm.D. replied 2 years ago
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Pharm.D.

Although rare, acute interstitial nephritis (AIN) has been reported in association with all proton-pump inhibitors including Prevacid. Renal-biopsy proven cases and recurrence with reinitiation of PPIs after discontinuation have been documented in multiple cases, case series and systematic analyses. Clinical presentation and findings are inconsistent, and patients may have declining renal function but be asymptomatic. The patient population most associated with reported cases of PPI-induced AIN is older, may have co-morbid conditions that affect renal function, and may be taking concomitant medications that also are implicated in drug-induced AIN. Discontinuation of the PPI is the primary therapy.

Main:(###) ###-####| Fax:(###) ###-####| cypresscare.com

FDA Alerts on Proton Pump Inhibitors

The FDA has issued two recent alerts regarding the use of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). This class of medication is

used extensively in workers’ compensation. PPIs are used to treat heartburn, acid reflux and to reduce the risk of

gastrointestinal ulcers from the chronic use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Examples of PPIs

include Prilosec

TM

(omeprazole) and Prevacid

TM

(lansoprazole) which are available over-the-counter(OTC)

and Nexium

TM

, Aciphex

TM

and Protonix

TM

(pantoprazole) which are available by prescription.

The first FDA alert applies only to those PPIs available OTC. These products no longer require a

notice warning consumers of the increased risk of hip, wrist and spine fractures. This risk is highest

in patients taking large doses of PPIs or taking the medication for a year or longer. If consumers follow

the label instructions and limit the use of these products, the risk for fractures is minimal. The warning still

applies to those patients using PPIs for a year or longer at their doctor’s recommendation.

The second FDA alert applies to those patients taking PPIs for a year or longer. These patients may develop low

levels of magnesium, which puts them at a higher risk for seizures, irregular heartbeats and muscle spasms. Patients

may not display any signs of low magnesium, so doctors are advised to periodically check magnesium levels and provide

magnesium supplements, if necessary.

Hi! Just checking in to see how things are going with the Zantac. Getting any relief?

Please don't forget to leave a positive rating:) Thank you!

I was also wondering about this: Instead of Zantac, can I take Pepcid Complete while taking the Prevacid. I'd take the one Pepcid just before my largest meal - dinner. Is this OK?

Yes that is perfectly OK. You can take Pepcid Complete while taking Prevacid.

Dr. Riaz, Doctor of Pharmacy

Thanks for your reply. Taking Pepcid at dinner is fine, or taking it before bed would be another option. I have some patients on a proton pump inhibitor like Prevacid in the morning and an H2 antagonist like Pepcid or Zantac at night. This helps alleviate any breakthrough heartburn you may get when laying down.

Pharmacist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Can I help?

Hi! Just checking in to see how the Pepcid complete is working for you?

Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget
Dr. Bridget, Pharmacist