William Pflugfelder
William Pflugfelder, Pharmacist
Experience:  Pharmacist at Health Care Consultants
90258775

I'm 78 and a .S. RN. My doctor prescribed "Namenda" in Aug.

Customer Question

I'm 78 and a B.S. RN. My doctor prescribed "Namenda" in Aug. for occasional memory loss with names, not situations.. I manage a small business, pay the bills and carry on a busy life. I have a husband grown children and grand children.
I take an ACTEMRA infusion for my RA and am able to function as I always have including driving. I'm a B.S. RN. I'm on 10 mg. Namenda AM & PM. Then tried 5 in AM and 10 in PM because I felt confused. I'm still vacillating wondering if I need the Rx and will it harm my good mind if I don't really need it?? I feel awful on it!
Thank you, ***** **********
Does the Rx destrioy my mind if I don't need it??
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Hi Anne, thanks for the question. With memory loss medications, it is important to start early so as to avoid losing memory in the first place. The medication is meant to slow the disease progression so for your question, you will be better off continuing with the drug, Namenda. The side effects wear after sometimes

Expert:  William Pflugfelder replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm DrBillRPh.

The decision to prescribe medications for "memory loss" can often be a subjective one. Best practices probably advise use of written and verbal test(s) to determine need. Namenda will do no harm other than side effects related to the medication which you have described. Honest discussion with family can also be an important diagnostic tool.

Hope helpful.

Merry Christmas

Dr. Bill RPh.

Hi, Dr. Bill RPh. here,

Just checking in to see how you are doing?

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions you might have.

Have a great day.

Dr. Bill RPh.