How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Drugdad Your Own Question
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Category: Pharmacy
Satisfied Customers: 1727
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
Type Your Pharmacy Question Here...
Drugdad is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have hormonal acne and would like to start medication to

Customer Question

I have hormonal acne and would like to start medication to clear it up. PCOS has been ruled out. How can I start this process?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the question. First thing you want to do is see your dermatologist. Since you have blood clots history, it is good to stop the birth control. For the acne, there are many options your doctor can prescribe.

The first is isotretinoin, it is oral pills that is taken every day. The draw back with this medication is the strict requirement that your doctor must follow. Since you are in your child bearing age, pregnancy test must be done. Birth defect is an issue with the drug.

Other topical options are Differin, trentoin, tazorac, clindamycin, doxycycline, erythromycin and benzoyl peroxide