Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

I have hormonal acne and would like to start medication to

Customer Question

I have hormonal acne and would like to start medication to clear it up. PCOS has been ruled out. How can I start this process?
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the question. First thing you want to do is see your dermatologist. Since you have blood clots history, it is good to stop the birth control. For the acne, there are many options your doctor can prescribe.

The first is isotretinoin, it is oral pills that is taken every day. The draw back with this medication is the strict requirement that your doctor must follow. Since you are in your child bearing age, pregnancy test must be done. Birth defect is an issue with the drug.

Other topical options are Differin, trentoin, tazorac, clindamycin, doxycycline, erythromycin and benzoyl peroxide