How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Rollins Your Own Question
Dr. C. Rollins
Dr. C. Rollins, Pharm. D.
Category: Pharmacy
Satisfied Customers: 788
Experience:  Knowledge in hormone replacement therapy, pediatrics, compounding, long term care, retail, hospice, etc.
Type Your Pharmacy Question Here...
Dr. C. Rollins is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This question is about controlled substance mediation

Customer Question

This question is about controlled substance mediation (specially controlled by DEA when prescribed in the U.S.) -- either getting filled from a U.S. doctor prescription or prescribed and filled for the continuous coverage while on the extended trip in Germany.A competent neurology/mental health/addiction medicine health and/or pharmacy professional familiar particularly with procedures for this medication abroad, in EU, or specifically in Germany, please answer.I am taking medication called Saboxone (combination of buprenophrine 8mg and naloxone 2 mg, generic sublingual tablet, twice daily) prescribed to me for off-label use for migraine prevention, as nothing else except harsh opioids would works. I am under regular care of a U.S. -licensed physician who prescribes it to me and who is specially trained and certified via D.E.A.'s DATA-2000 program to prescribe this medication, which is normally used and indicated by FDA for opioid addiction treatment, but is not prohibited for the off-label use.
But this medication can only be prescribed and dispensed 1 month at a time. And my doctor is OK to give me two prescriptions to take with me.I am planning to be in Germany, Berlin, for 2 to 3 month, and, depending on circumstances ,will need to fill it at least ones, could be twice.My question:Will a pharmacy in Germany dispense this medication on the prescription from the U.S. Doctor? (Never mind insurance, I will pay for it out if pocket and will reimburse when I am back in the states.
If so, are there any specific prescribing requirements that my doctor has to uphold -- i.e. certain additional things specified on the prescription, like diagnosis code, procedure code, treatment code. (Of course his U.S Universal Prescriber ID and DEA a number will be on the Rx form with various security features.If not, what is the procedure for me to see a local doctor who may prescribe it for me. I see that in Germany this medication is prescribed in primary practice. Should I just find a concierge internal medicine office to have it prescribed? What kind of documentation would they be needing from my doctor? A letter and his prescription? Anything else? (like history of my prescriptions from my pharmacy here)And recommendations for the pharmacies or concierge travel doctor practices that deal with this type of medication, would be greatly appreciated.Thanks a lot.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 2 years ago.

I will make this very easy for you. Have your physician write the prescription for a 3 month supply before you leave the US. It is legal to fill a 3 month supply of a controlled substance as long as the diagnosis is on the prescription. If your insurance will not allow a 3 month supply then you can pay cash price for it. Pharmacies may have an issue with you not using your insurance, but if your physician calls your pharmacy ahead of time and explains your situation and authorizes you to fill it ahead of time on a cash price with the pharmacist then you should have no issues. Hopefully this fully answers your question. Once satisfied please rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pharmacy regulations vary greatly from one state to another. I was filling Suboxone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Routinely for 3 months in California, but now in New York there are more hoops to jump through for this particular medication that my doc usually doesn't get it right from month to month, and so of course I have tried to make my life easier and fill for 3 months, but this is not just controlled substance, its monitored by DEA via special register and docs have to be specially authorized to prescribe it, and even have limit on how many patients they allowed to have.
But all this is true federally, again the problem is pharmacy, why would not fill it for 3 months. Trust me I've tried them all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What state are you in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
besides, this medication in not eligible for home delivery because I live In New York, even though mail pharmacy is in Vegas and they so send 3 months to California.
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 2 years ago.

I practice in Missouri.

Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 2 years ago.

Although physicians require a special license to write prescriptions for suboxone a three month supply can be written and dispensed.

Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 2 years ago.

If you have had trouble in NY then if possible try to fill it in another state before leaving.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pharmacies look cross at you when you come from out-of-state with a script like this.
...I just had the worst time in NY.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wonder if my doc would even venture to write 3 months so I can fill the ln in New Jersey (if they have better laws) or Connecticut.Thanks.
But there is another reason why I am hesitant to have 90 days.
The is some kind of formular in EU that regulates import if controlled substances for personal use. And, I need to double check, I believe Cat II was limited to 30 days or maybe you have to declare if you have more than 30 days.
So would create crazy trouble hopping Europe if one plaid by the rules.
Expert:  Dr. C. Rollins replied 2 years ago.

If you have a legitimate prescription you should have no problems.