Drugdad
Drugdad, Pharmacist
Experience:  I have a doctor of pharmacy degree with experience in both retail and hospital. I will be happy to share this knowledge with you
66334938

I had a DVT and PE's two years and was put on Xerelto

Customer Question

I had a DVT and PE's two years and was put on Xerelto for six months. Since that time, I've taken 81mg of aspirin everyday. Here are my questions, I'm having surgery in a few days and they have taken me off the aspirin, should I worry about that.?I plan on resuming it as soon as the surgery is over, how long will it take to take affect? Thanks
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for the question. The effect of aspirin on blood cells are long lasting. It is perfectly fine to stop the aspirin before surgery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it alright to resume as soon as surgery is over and how long does it take to start working as a blood thinner? Thanks
Expert:  Drugdad replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you restart it about a day after the surgery. Depending on the surgery, your doctor might have you on anticoagulant / blood thinner like heparin so you don't have to worry about when the aspirin would start working. In general the aspirin have effect on blood cell right away.