Pharmacy

Pharmacy Questions? Ask a Pharmacist Online.

Pharmacy

I'm currently on 30mg lexapro a day for OCD and anxiety.

Customer Question
I'm currently on 30mg lexapro...
I'm currently on 30mg lexapro a day for OCD and anxiety. I've been tapering down from 4mg a day of xanax to .5mg a day of xanax and 10mg ambien. I would like to keep tapering to xanax only when needed(panic attack) and minimal Ambien. I'm seeing a psychiatrist
yet would like a second opinion. It took me 3 months to taper from 4mg xanax to .5 and was fairly easy. I went from 20mg to 30mg of Lexapro at the beginning of the taper. I haven't had any physical side effects of withdrawl(very surprised.) should I focus
on quitting xanax first before tapering Ambien or taper Ambien first? I'm complexed as to why I've had no withdrawl? I've been on xanax for 3.5 yrs and Ambien 2 yrs. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pharmacy
7/19/2015
Pharmacist: Dr. Kaushik, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a psychiatrist and i believe i can answer your queries.

The reason for not having benzodiazepine withdrawal can be either due to slow, systematic withdrawal or due to the presence of lexapro which shielded you from the withdrawal symptoms or a combination of both.

Now having said that you see 30 mg dose of lexapro is not going to deliver any additional benefits than the 20 mg dose so you better discuss this with your doctor and come down to the 20 mg dose of lexapro which is considered as the optimum safe dose for lexapro. While taking 30 mg dose shall not provide you any added benefits as far as your symptom control is concerned, but instead it may raise the risk of excessive serotonin levels in the body and a possible risk of getting the much dreaded and distressing serotonin syndrome occurring due to excess of serotonin in the body.

Lastly, now that you are withdrawing xanax, then just stay put on it and do not even think of adding the burden on your body system to tolerate one more withdrawal that of ambien, the ambien withdrawal can wait for now and can be taken upon once you have successfully and safely come off xanax.

I hope this sums it up for you.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor