E-Pharmacist
E-Pharmacist, Pharmacist
Experience:  My knowledge of pharmaceuticals and medications allows me to provide patients with in-depth information and counseling.
75714737

Pharmacists are refusing to fill my prescription .

Customer Question

pharmacists are refusing to fill my prescription for narcotics. i was going to 2 doctors for 2 different norco prescriptions for a while. when the dr. told me i couldnt do this i stopped. i now only have one dr. but no pharmacy will fill it. i suspect that they will get in trouble for doing it but i have had only 1 doctor for probably 4 months now and haven't abused the medication. what can i do to get my prescription filled if ever? i live in michigan
Category: Pharmacy
Expert:  E-Pharmacist replied 2 years ago.
Hello
May I ask what is the strength of the medication and the quantity?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one was for 5/325 and one was for 7.5/325. now i only have one and it is 5/325 every 6 hours as needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that is all. no other pain medications
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello?
Due to the nature of the medication the government agency suggested Norco to be a CII. CII as you may know has more restriction on it for being filled and dispensed. There are few things you may be able to do.
1)If your doctor is known to over prescribe pain medications and accept cash payments from his patients then the near by pharmacies might refuse to fill his prescriptions. Therefore you might have to change your doctor.
2If your doctor's office is not near the pharmacy (local) pharmacy might refuse to fill your prescription. Take your prescription to a near by pharmacy.
3)If you pay cash for your medications that might be a red flag for the pharmacy, try paying with your insurance.
4)If you've done all the above and still being refused make sure your doctor right ICD9 code on the prescription (the diagnosis) talk to the pharmacy manager and build a relationship and have them fill it every month and encourage the pharmacy to use prescription drug monitoring program if available at your state that will show your medication history pick up at any pharmacy.
5)If all fails you could also try to find and independent (private owned pharmacy) and build a relationship and have them fill it for you.
The key is you have to use one doctor, one pharmacy that are local. You should also try to pay with insurance if possible. If they are out of stock give them one week to order it for you. Hence you should drop off the medication one week before it's due.
I hope the information provided is useful to you. I would appreciate a positive feedback.
Thank you Customer